[CUWiN] Multiple radios?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Thu Apr 7 00:58:44 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 06:20:09PM +1000, Dan Flett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me if the CuWiN software supports multiple wireless cards
> simultaneously in the one platform?  I am concerned about the bandwidth
> penalty and RF interference that would result from everyone being on the
> same channel, transmitting and receiving with the same radio.

Dan,

We cannot yet take good advantage of multiple wireless cards and/or
multiple channels, in order to improve performance.  I can guide someone
as they implement the requisite improvements to the HSLS daemon.  I have
a pretty good idea how to add something like that to the existing daemon.

BTW, I designed the HSLS "Backplane LSA" in anticipation of
multi-radio/-channel nodes.  My idea was that by assigning a cost to
cross from interface to interface in the same router, you can express
things like the channel-switching delay, or the (non)interference of
consecutive packets in an IP stream, in a way that lets us use Dijkstra's
algorithm to solve for the best multi-channel/-radio paths.  I made
the design without good ideas how to assign the interface-to-interface
costs, though.  I still don't know how to do it, but there are more and
more research papers on the multi-* topic.

Has anyone mentioned WCETT by Microsoft, yet?

Dave