[CUWiN] end-user mesh

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Mon Apr 18 14:04:32 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:39:40AM -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>
> >Hi John,
> >
> >On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, John Kintree wrote:
> >
> >>One requirement I did not see in the RFP for Wireless Philadelphia
> >>(http://www.phila.gov/wireless/) is for end-user devices, such as laptop
> >>computers and PDAs, to run the mesh networking software.  It seems
> >>like doing
> >>so would practically eliminate dead-spots in the network.  Is porting
> >>the
> >>cuwin mesh software to client platforms (Linux, Mac, Windows, ...)
> >>part of
> >>the plan?
> >

> >The CUWiN software is small enough that it could be ported to a
> >variety of end-user devices.  We're currently working to crossbuild on
> >Linux.  We'd love to port to various platforms and devices -- just
> >need to find either the funding to hire folks or the volunteers who'd
> >like to work on adding this functionality.
>
> I've volunteered for LX50 / RTL8181 and Intel Xscale (ixp42x) once Mr.
> Young gets the netbsd part of the tree
> up to snuff WRT FreeBSD.

Jim,

You can be sure that net80211 will be updated.  I have spent many hours
on it already.  I got it to the point where it would compile before I
put it aside a few weeks ago.  Testing will be a treat, I'm sure....

CUWiN is swamped with work for our deliverables; it will not be until
mid-May that I can revisit net80211.

> I think its a mistake to require people to load new software on their
> laptops, even if it improves the situation.
> Folks won't do it.

I agree.

> The RFP requires 802.11 STA access, btw.  (Including 802.1x/WPA/WPA2).

Even this is a very tall order!  If they achieve 95% coverage in Philly,
then all the 802.11 STAs with braindead roaming implementations may get
Seriously Confused.