[CUWiN] Son's "volunteer" project

Todd Boyle tboyle at rosehill.net
Fri Apr 22 18:43:44 CDT 2005

My son has to do a major volunteer project for a
graduation requirement and also, to beef up his
resume.  I suggested a media democracy project,
preferably on infrastructure instead of content.

I think there's a possibility based on his reaction
and his friends.   Suppose we order parts, build
4 to 6 nodes, find homeowners between the High School
and the local Starbucks 1 mile away.

Then, what is the sexiest application that High School
kids can demonstrate?  I'm thinking
  1. transfer music and video files around,
  2. maybe demonstrate a live video feed, or
  3. maybe some telephony between laptops at
starbucks, and the high school?

My first instinct is the students build something
for themselves.   Maybe I should suggest they link
two nonprofits like the teen center and a local church,
or something like that....  Or some long-distance
link, that's actually needed by some hospital or clinic.

Does anybody have any experience with such craziness?
At this point it's a personal chemistry thing more than
a technical thing... for example if its a hospital or
a charity thing it might be easier to get donations,
and political cover....

Thanks
Todd