[CUWiN] Son's "volunteer" project

John Dada johndada at fantsuam.com
Sat Apr 23 02:49:44 CDT 2005

I have no experience to mention about this sort of stuff, except to add
my 2 bits to make it even "crazier". Would your son consider also
adding an online discussion with a group of wireless techie aspirants
from rural Nigeria?

On Apr 23, 2005, at 0:43, Todd Boyle wrote:

>  My son has to do a major volunteer project for a
>  graduation requirement and also, to beef up his
>  resume.  I suggested a media democracy project,
>  preferably on infrastructure instead of content.
>
>  I think there's a possibility based on his reaction
>  and his friends.   Suppose we order parts, build
>  4 to 6 nodes, find homeowners between the High School
>  and the local Starbucks 1 mile away.
>
>  Then, what is the sexiest application that High School
>  kids can demonstrate?  I'm thinking
>   1. transfer music and video files around,
>   2. maybe demonstrate a live video feed, or
>   3. maybe some telephony between laptops at
>  starbucks, and the high school?
>
>  My first instinct is the students build something
>  for themselves.   Maybe I should suggest they link
>  two nonprofits like the teen center and a local church,
>  or something like that....  Or some long-distance
>  link, that's actually needed by some hospital or clinic.
>
>  Does anybody have any experience with such craziness?
>  At this point it's a personal chemistry thing more than
>  a technical thing... for example if its a hospital or
>  a charity thing it might be easier to get donations,
>  and political cover....
>
>  Thanks
>  Todd _______________________________________________
> CU-Wireless mailing list
> CU-Wireless at lists.cuwireless.net
> Project Page: http://cuwireless.ucimc.org

John Dada PhD RN MPH, Salzburg Fellow
Programs Director
Fantsuam Foundation
www.fantsuam.org
Winners of the first Hafkin Africa Prize
http://www.apc.org/english/hafkin Bayanloco, No.1 Fantsuam Close, PO
Box 58 Kafanchan. NIGERIA Charity Reg # RC495066,  UK Charity Reg
#1078142 tel 00881631447772