[CUWiN] Son's "volunteer" project

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Mon Apr 25 18:43:03 CDT 2005

Hi Todd,

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Todd Boyle wrote:

> My son has to do a major volunteer project for a graduation requirement
> and also, to beef up his resume.  I suggested a media democracy project,
> preferably on infrastructure instead of content.
>
> I think there's a possibility based on his reaction and his friends.
> Suppose we order parts, build 4 to 6 nodes, find homeowners between the
> High School and the local Starbucks 1 mile away.

This sounds doable -- one could even wireless the entire area around the
high-school.  The main issue is where would the bandwidth come from?  If
it's a school project, you may be able to use the school's -- which would
be extremely interesting to the CUWiN project generally.

> Then, what is the sexiest application that High School kids can
> demonstrate?  I'm thinking
>
> 1. transfer music and video files around,
> 2. maybe demonstrate a live video feed, or
> 3. maybe some telephony between laptops at starbucks, and the high
> school?

The live feeds are probably the sexiest -- what sort of timeline are they
working on?  Also, how technically savvy are the folks involved?

> My first instinct is the students build something for themselves.
> Maybe I should suggest they link two nonprofits like the teen center and
> a local church, or something like that....  Or some long-distance link,
> that's actually needed by some hospital or clinic.

I like the idea of connecting/linking several important
buildings/organizations.

> Does anybody have any experience with such craziness? At this point it's
> a personal chemistry thing more than a technical thing... for example if
> its a hospital or a charity thing it might be easier to get donations,
> and political cover....

There's definitely no shortage of areas in need of wireless/connecting.
I'm happy to work with folks to vett areas and talk feasibility.  One
important caution to throw out there before they get started is that the
software is under _heavy_ development -- so there's a sort of chaotic
element to deploying these networks at the moment.  This is not to say
that they shouldn't do the project, but that this is a situation where
real-world conditions may mean that their network won't work until certain
bugs are fixed.

But let me know,

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst