[CUWiN] CUWiN using a PC Engines WRAP box

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Aug 14 00:50:25 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 09:56:24PM -0500, Seth Price wrote:
> I am attempting to put a CUWiN node up with a WRAP box that I
> just bought. I copied the 128 mb disk image to the flash card
> ("dd if=imagefile.img of=/dev/disk4 bs=8k") and booted it up. And
> nothing. I don't have a serial console connection so I can't tell if
> any interesting messages are appearing. I can't connect to it via SSH
> or and it's not taking a DHCP addr.

Seth,

I am confident we can support WRAP, but I do think it will take a
little work.  You will need a different kernel configuration file.
You will also need to use later NetBSD sources than we are distributing.

The kernel configs are the files in cuw/trunk/src/boot-image/kernel-conf/.
One configuration is specialized for a Soekris, and the other for a
CD-bootable PC.  Also, the CPU on the WRAP board has an IDE controller
and other integrated components that are slightly eccentric.  I remember
seeing the patches for those components, by Erik Fair and others, go into
NetBSD only recently.  There was discussion on tech-kern at netbsd.org or
current-users at netbsd.org; the commit messages are in the archives for
source-changes at netbsd.org.

Your flash card's geometry may be different from our distribution
image.  We keep the geometry for the cards we have on-hand in
cuw/trunk/src/boot-image/disktab.d/.  I can read the geometry off your
card and put it in our geometry database if you can drop by my office
sometime.  My office is on the second floor at 202 S. Broadway, Urbana.
That's the old USPS building in downtown.