[CUWiN] In order to be a node...

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Feb 23 11:55:35 CST 2005

Hi Gabriel,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, G Lopez wrote:

> Hello CU Wireless,
>
> I might be interested in becoming a node here in Champaign Urbana. I am
> wondering what kind and speed of internet connections you are looking
> for in volunteer nodes and if you had any problems in the past with
> Insight or SBC for people running public connections using their DSL or
> Cable Modem services?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gabriel

The speeds have been similar to DSL speeds (we use business class DSL
lines to feed our network).  Thus far we haven't had any problems with
other service providers.  I suppose that many residential user agreements
do stipulate that you're not allowed to share your connection (and we
can't tell you to ignore those rules); however, the CUWiN project avoids
this problem by only using lines that we're allowed to share.

I _personally_ think that the artificial limitations placed on DSL sharing
by service providers are inane (if you're paying for a service, what right
do they have to say how efficiently you use it).  They exist to allow
service providers to maximize the overselling of their infrastructure --
at the expense of saving end-users money by sharing connections.  But the
CUWiN project does not encourage users to engage in activities that are
contrary to their service agreements.  If you're worried about
repercussions from your provider, I'd advise either buying from an ISP
that allows sharing, or upgrading to a business class line that allows
sharing.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
President                 *   Project Coordinator   *   Policy Analyst