[CUWiN] Champaign's "free" wireless.

Sascha Meinrath sascha at aya.yale.edu
Thu Sep 6 16:22:14 CDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I've been following this for several months and figure that I'd pass this along
since it's now public.  I would certainly like to know more about the specifics
as actually implemented.

--Sascha

***

Champaign, Illinois Gets Free Wi-Fi From Go Networks

The wireless network is one of the first for parent company NextWave, which
recently raised $355 million to fund Wi-Fi and WiMax installations.

By W. David Gardner
InformationWeek
September 6, 2007 12:10 PM

The citizens of Champaign, Illinois now have a large Wi-Fi hotspot with free
access to the Internet in their city thanks to Wi-Fi provider Go Networks.

Go Networks, a subsidiary of NextWave Wireless, said Wednesday that advancements
in its xRF smart antenna technology enabled antennas to be placed in fewer than
normal strategic positions on existing city street lights and traffic poles in
Champaign.

The deployment is one of the first, too, for NextWave, which recently raised
$355 million to fund Wi-Fi and WiMax deployments.

Go Networks noted that it has rolled out the network -- with the involvement
also of service provider Pavlov Media -- with a minimum of the problems that
have plagued Wi-Fi deployments in larger cities than Champaign. "Launching a
Wi-Fi network downtown has been a great boost to our community, putting us on
par with larger cities' broadband wireless offerings," said T. J. Blakeman,
Champaign's city planner, in a statement.

Pavlov Media provides operational services and bandwidth for the network,
delivering triple-play voice-video-data capabilities over the same
infrastructure. Citizens with Wi-Fi capability on their laptops and smart phones
are able to obtain free access throughout Champaign's downtown area.

Several cities, including Alexandria, Va., Houston, Philadelphia, and Portland,
Ore., have built Wi-Fi networks, and many others are evaluating them. The lure
is that Wi-Fi is a relatively easy way to bring broadband Internet access at
little or no cost to the municipality, funded in-stead by subscription fees and
advertising.

Champaign is fortunate to join the ranks of the Wi-Fi elite. Several citywide
Wi-Fi projects supported by EarthLink(ELNK) have been put on hold, including its
project in San Francisco.