[CUWiN] Champaign's "free" wireless.

Tim Yardley liquid at haveheart.com
Sun Sep 16 22:44:30 CDT 2007

David;

I'm not sure if you are taking offense to another wireless offering or if
you are just playing devil's advocate.  I suppose either way, it doesn't
really matter.  I have been a supporter of cu-wireless and other similar
projects for years.

Regarding demand in west side park, I've seen people sitting there using
it... So I guess that is a yes.  I've seen people sitting at bus stops,
sitting outside cafes, using iphones on the network, and generally just
enjoying the ability to surf the web for free.  I know people that live in
the area that now use that connection pretty much exclusively for basic web
access.

Is it an untethered and completely unrestricted network with infinite
bandwidth?  No.  Does anyone truly expect it to be?  Not really.  I see no
negatives in any of that.  Maybe my perspective is not that of the majority?

As for the public coverage map, there are none published that I am aware of.
The node locations are pretty straightforward, so making one up should be
pretty easy.  If you're interested, I am sure no one would object to you
doing a coverage map.  Let me know if you'd like my help.

/tmy