[CUWiN] Re: CU-Wireless Digest, Vol 40, Issue 1

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 7 12:40:55 CDT 2007

Hi,

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:35:35 -0500
> From: David Young <dyoung at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: [CUWiN] Champaign's "free" wireless.

[snip]
> SSH does not even work

	Wow, really?  In a tech-dependent town like this one?
	Can Go Networks/Pavlov be convinced by the City to turn SSH on?
Something like
	1. Convince City of Champaign that
		a) Alpha-geeks are far happier with SSH.  Champaign wants these
people happy, whether residents or visitors: from their ranks come
new tax-paying local tech businesses and local-economy-vital UIUC
world-tech-leader status.  They wouldn't for example, want a
visiting  entrepreneurially-bent academic, contemplating a UIUC
job,  to turn on her laptop in downtown Champaign, attempt to check a
running process back home,  then shout "idiotic Champaign wireless!
I knew this small town would suck, I'm definitely taking that
position at Berkeley."
		b) SSH is how users will communicate with the computers we are
famous for, like, say, the coming $200M Fastest Computer in The
Freaking World.
		c) Blocking SSH doesn't prevent bad behavior; similarly abusive/
bandwdith-abusive behavior can happen over http.
	2. Convinced by such  arguments, and motivated soley by  forward-
thinking tax greed, Champaign tells Go Networks / Pavolv "unblock SSH".

				Cheers,
				Barry
--
Barry Isralewitz   Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
Beckman 3043   Office Phone: (217) 244-1612  Home Phone: (217) 337-6364