ideas was Re: [CUWiN] Activity?

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Wed Aug 6 23:06:55 CDT 2008

Tom Sparks wrote:
> I am going to use the open-mesh.com nodes
> I am looking at have a
> video sharing website
> (Creative commons/other open license, high quality
> download members
> only)
> photo sharing website
> (something like flickr, Creative commons/other open
> license),
> music sharing website (something like Jamendo, may
> even mirror some
> Jamendo music)
>
> streaming radio (jukebox, music from the music sharing
> website, live
> on-site streaming, DJing (on-site live, prearranged
> music and call-in
> request))
> streaming TV (video jukebox, videos from the video
> sharing website, live
> on-site streaming, studio shows (news))
>
> three levels of access
> level 1: visitor/traveller
> can access every website no membership to any website
> can upload videos/music (file must be approved by
> admins)
> level 2: node owners
> every person living under one roof/house size block of
> land
> get membership to every website
> level 3: admin (must own a node)
> admin access to every website, only one person
> per-location

- - - snip - - -
Sounds great!  As I understand open-mesh.com, it offers the chance to
create a "branded network".  You buy one unit, register your network,
and then others can buy directly from open-mesh, provide you with info
to register them on your network, or they can buy from you, as a
reseller.  It also means others can create networks within your network,
similar to your levels breakout.  But, interestingly, suppose your local
hospital wants to run their telemedicine programs over your network.
Or, suppose the city wants to run community alerts over your network.
Or, suppose the church wants to run their programs over your network.
Well, in other words it's not a big step to have multiple "branded
networks" available.

Maybe the school gets interested in creating a "branded network" within
yours, in order to have the kids be able to access the school network
from their homes, to complete homework assignments in the evenings and
on weekends.

Best, though, if your "branded network" gains a modest number of
participants, the opportunity to put out a bid request for Internet
providers to bid on offering Internet access at reasonable wholesale
pricing.  Introduce competition, if-you-will.  I saw something about a
company ( maybe more ) that provide snapshots of the Internet that could
serve as a source of the web, where Internet access providers are scarce
or nonexistent.

Possibilities are endless,
Tom