[CWN-Summit] More about Philly

Michael Oh oh at techsuperpowers.com
Mon Sep 27 19:56:51 CDT 2004

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/channel_story.php?channel=7&id=91571

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/technology/27ecom.html

> We estimate that we could implement this system for $10 million. And
> an ongoing reoccurring costs of about $1 million-and-a-half a year. To
> do 800 megahertz in Philadelphia the cost would be a $50 million
> project. So, wireless is very affordable. And has such a broad impact
> on all of the lives of people in Philadelphia.

Do other people see this number as being a little, um... low?

Just for the technical infrastructure to run a 135 square mile network,
$1.5 million/year?  Supporting millions of subscribers?

I just don't quite see how it can be done, but I'm by no means an
expert in large scale wireless (who is?).  Is there any entity that
supports this kind of subscriber base, this geography, and a brand new
technology for anywhere close to that - and without a revenue stream?
I know that wireless is cheaper, but is it really going to be that much
cheaper to run it, just because it's cheaper to implement it?

My guess - Tropos and other wireless equipment companies are feeding
them these numbers.

I hope they succeed, just so the opponents and incumbents don't have a
massive failure to point to.  But I hope they're also being realistic
and aren't being taken for a ride.

Mike

P.S. Shout out to the Prometheus Radio folks!  Great Barnraising in
Portsmouth!