[CWN-Summit] BBC Story: Wireless hijacking under scrutiny

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Jul 28 10:47:15 CDT 2005

The recent arrests of people for "hijacking" open wireless access points
also begs the question -- why should _I_ (a random laptop user) be held
solely responsible for broadcasting to an open access point?  Shouldn't
the open access point be held equally responsible for "leeching" my CPU
cycles and my battery power by communicating with my laptop?  I find the
entire precedent of liability for utilizing an open access point
extremely dangerous -- both because of the conundrum Harold mentions
below (that it's often impossible to know whether the access point was
left open purposefully or not), and because one is not "trespassing" in
any traditional sense (in fact, one is using an unlicensed band of the
_public airwaves_).

Given that the WAP is also collecting data from my laptop (e.g., my MAC
address), shouldn't the owners of these open networks be held liable for
"hacking" my laptop?

--Sascha