[CWN-Summit] Invenio

Dave A. Chakrabarti dave at ctcnetchicago.org
Wed May 24 01:08:00 CDT 2006

http://www.inveneo.org/

I'm wondering if anyone on this list is familiar with Invenio? They're
listing a $2k donation as covering the cost of a solar powered computer
workstation in a village. I'm guessing this doesn't cover the cost of
the central server system or the Wifi infrastructure, but that still
sounds like a viable price point given that solar power tends to be
expensive (from what I've read / heard so far).

Could others with more experience comment on the pricing levels? These
are presumably thin clients, capable of being remotely managed, which is
a very interesting architecture to deploy. What would you guys budget
for total cost, say for a typical central server, one outstation, and a
suitable uplink? Just trying to get an idea of how many villages need to
be wired for the costs of the central station to come down to something
manageable. I'd love to work on a similar project next time I'm back in
India, if anyone's interested and thinks they could find funding for it.

  Dave.

Dave A. Chakrabarti
Projects Coordinator
CTCNet Chicago