[CWN-Summit] Re: Mayor prorosed giving away public resources for ATT "free" wifi

Michael Oh oh at techsuperpowers.com
Sat Feb 3 19:48:46 CST 2007

Ben,

Mike Oh here from Boston - just some quick background:  I was there
in St Louis as well last year, I run one a public WiFi network in
Boston - NewburyOpen.net, and was on the Mayor's Committee in Boston
that analyzed the feasibility of WiFi in the City of terrorism-
paranoid-people-that-don't-know-the-difference-between-bombs-and-
advertising.

But one thing that we've done our homework on is WiFi and the
tradeoffs that cities make to implement "free" WiFi with large
providers like AT&T.

Me and 24 other city residents, business owners, and academic folks
worked to put this report together...

http://www.cityofboston.gov/wireless/

Our conclusion is that what the Mayor of St Louis is doing is a very
bad idea, for exactly all the reasons that you've mentioned.

Letting AT&T be the sole provider of the network - including owning,
operating, and defining end-user pricing - and giving them control
over a valuable public asset - the right to poles - is only going to
end up with disappointed residents.  If there is an agreement, there
should be very specific (and quite stringent) policies regarding end-
user service levels for the "free" users - but chances are even then,
a provider with sole control over the network will try to push the
limits of the agreement.  They do this because they know that a city
will most likely not take them to court to enforce the agreement, no
matter how bad it may get.

The incumbents a while ago realized that they would have a lot more
success duping city governments to handing over public assets rather
than stopping municipal WiFi networks in court.

So, in summary, if you don't see the details, that probably means
that the Mayor didn't bother working them out - and AT&T assured them
that they would just fill in the details for the city.  I would be
very aggressive in trying to get the city to see this, for the sake
of the residents of St. Louis.

Now, I do qualify this by saying that the Boston model - based on the
establishment of a non-profit organization that forces structural
separation between the wholesale and retail sides of the network -
has not been proven either.  If anything, our ideas have slowed the
progress in Boston while the city has to try to find the funding to
make the model work.  But we do feel confident that, even if slow,
the Boston approach (or any similar approach that double-checks all
the details) is still better in the end.

Hope that helps,
Mike

-------
Tech Superpowers, Inc. - "Technology for Genius®"
252 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02116

[Phone] +1 (617) 267-9716x700 [Email]     oh at techsuperpowers.com
[Fax]   +1 (617) 267-8927     [Email 911] oh.page at techsuperpowers.com