[CWN-Summit] Re: January Community Wireless Roundtable Follow Up

Laura Forlano laura at nycwireless.net
Mon Jan 8 16:38:21 CST 2007

Hi All.

We held another successful Community Wireless Roundtable today with
over ten participants from the US, Canada, South Africa, Italy,
France and Taiwan.  I was thrilled that several new people were able
to join the discussion.

You can listen to the audio file here (though the echo makes it
somewhat difficult to hear):
http://www.wirelesscommunity.info/2007/01/08/podcast-community-
wireless-roundtable-jan-8-2007/

I also have an IRC chat transcript if you would like a copy.

Below is a recap of the agenda items with links to relevant materials.

Agenda:
1. Attendance
2. Announcements
3. OPLAN Foundation (Please contact me if you would like a copy of
the two-page document from the OPLAN Foundation that Malcolm Matson
has prepared in order to review it and provide useful feedback to
Malcolm.  This is a follow up to last month's discussion about ways
that we can be more involved in the activities of the OPLAN
Foundation.  In the coming days/weeks, please send your thoughtful
but candid feedback directly to Malcolm and feel free to cc: the group.)
4. COMMONS Project (You can find more details at: http://
www.caida.org/workshops/commons/0612/)
5. Media Reform conference (http://www.freepress.net/conference)
6. International Community Wireless Summit (http://www.cuwireless.net/
summit)
7. Updates from Community Wireless Groups Worldwide
	-France
	-Austin

Participant List:
Alison Powell, ISF
Dana Spiegel, NYCwireless
Jonathan Arbib, Rome Wireless Community
Laura Forlano, NYCwireless
Malcolm Matson, OPLAN
Mike Lenczner, Ile Sans Fils
Rich MacKinnon, Austin City Wireless
Michel Memeteau, France wireless
Andre Marais, Pretoria, South Africa
Joy Tang, One Village Foundation
Benoit Gregoire, Ile Sans Fils

The February Community Wireless Roundtable will be Monday 2/5 at 11AM
EST (4PM GMT).  Please mark your calendars.  Also, please download
Gizmo (http://www.gizmoproject.com/) and an IRC client prior to the
call.  You can conduct an echo test on Gizmo to be sure that your
audio is routing through your headset rather than your computer's
internal speakers.  If you don't have a headset, it might be a good
idea to get one as this should minimize the echo and make for a
better experience for everyone.  We've been using Colloquy (Mac) and
MIMIRC (PC) for the IRC backchannel.

Here are the details of the conference call:

Through Gizmo:
Dial "CONFERENCE" (without the quotes)
Using the numeric keypad (bottom left corner icon of Gizmo window),
enter the Room Number: 5355292

Through a land line phone:
In the US, call 1-712-432-4015
Enter the Room Number: 5355292

IRC backchannel:
server: irc.freenode.net
room: #cwr

If you have specific agenda items that you would like to discuss,
please send them to me by Friday, February 3.  Thanks!

I hope that many of you will be able to participate!

Best,
Laura