[CWN-Summit] 2008-3 Needs Your Support!

Joshua King jking at cuwin.net
Sat Aug 22 00:21:29 CDT 2009

Greetings,

For quite a while now, Acorn Active Media Foundation has been pursuing a
IPv6 addressing policy change at the American Registry of Internet Numbers
(ARIN). This policy proposal (numbered 2008-3) is to establish Community
Networks as entities which can receive IPv6 address allocations. This policy
was pursued for a few reasons:

1. To establish a niche for Community Networks to apply. When Acorn
initially applied for an allocation, they didn't know what to do with us. It
can be difficult for a disaggregated network to demonstrate the necessary
subscribers to qualify as LIR (a Local Internet Registry, usually an ISP).
2. To allow Community Networks to future-proof their networks. Not many
upstream providers currently support IPv6.
3. To simplify network architecture. IPv6 mitigates the need for NAT or even
DHCP, and can support large single-subnet clouds without collision.
4. For Community Networks to experiment with unique mobile addressing
between networks.
5. To try and establish lower fees. Although the policy manual can't contain
anything about fees (fees are decided by a separate process), this gives
something for the reduced fees to be applied to.

And last and I think most importantly:

6. This policy bucks the trend of just large ISPs having address
allocations. There isn't any reason that there shouldn't be an allocation
available for community networks, because IPv6 addresses are plentiful. This
is the stage where, if we don't want the IPv4 situation of a few large
institutions having most of the address space, we should carve out a niche
for Community Networks to have their own spot on the Internet.

So if you think this is a good idea, please send a message to the ARIN
Policy Proposal Mailinglist voicing your support. The proposal has gone into
an comment period before it is decided on by the ARIN Advisory Committee in
a couple weeks, so this is the time for the people in ARIN to be reassured
that there are actual Community Networks out there who think this is a good
idea. It's a small step, but may be a useful one for the greater community
of Community Networks. Please forward this message on to anyone you think
might be interested. Time is of the essence!

ARIN PPML Contact Address: arin-ppml at arin.net
PPML Archives: http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/

Text of 2008-3: https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2008_3.html

--