[CWN-Summit] Law change

Bill Comisky bcomisky at pobox.com
Thu Dec 9 13:49:02 CST 2010

> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:42:43 +0100
> From: Mitar <mitar at tnode.com>
> To: International Summit for Community Wireless Networks Participant
>        E-mail  List <cwn-summit at lists.chambana.net>
> Subject: Re: [CWN-Summit] Law change

<snip>

> Yes, but you very soon (too soon) get over the limits. This is what I am
> saying. Why would somebody be punished because he used very very
> directed antenna because he wanted to leak very little in other directions?
>
> What I am arguing for is that using directional antennas should be
> preferred and (by law) encouraged. And I am arguing that what it is
> important is how much energy you bring into the air and not how you
> shape this energy. So limits should be for the energy, not that you
> cannot use something because you know how to squeeze everything possible
> from this energy you are allowed to use.
>

> Mitar

In the US, the FCC rules do currently encourage directive antenna use in the
unlicensed bands.  The point-to-point rules (for directive antennas) have
higher allowed EIRP limits than point-to-multipoint links.  For example for
PtP links at 2.4GHz you only have to turn down your transmit power 1 dB for
every +3dB in antenna gain over 6dB.  So it's a net win to use a more
directive antenna.  The 5.8GHz bands also have different transmit power
limits for PtP and PtMP links; I think for UNII-3 you can use up to a 23dBi
antenna without turning down the power at all on PtP links.

Bill

--
Bill Comisky
bcomisky at pobox.com