[CWN-Summit] Keynotes and soirees at IS4CWN Barcelona!

faith swords faith.swords at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:23:52 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I wanted to formally announce our keynote speakers for this year now that
they are all confirmed.

On Thursday morning, we will have Sascha Meinrath of the Open Technology
Institute and Ramon Roca of Guifi.net (one of the most expansive CWNs in
the world) welcoming everyone to the Summit. We will then hear from Ben
Scott, former policy advisor for innovation to US Secretary of State
Hillary Clinton who is now a visiting fellow at Stiftung Neue Verantwortung
in Berlin. Ben will be speaking about the need to build a global civil
society coalition that can connect the dots between building networks,
empowering communities, educating governments, and shaping markets through
good public policy.

On Thursday evening, we are pleased to welcome Amelia Andersdotter, MEP for
the Swedish Piratpartiet, who will be giving a talk entitled "No Wires
Attached - European Parliament and Spectrum Policy 2012" about the European
Radio Spectrum Policy Program and the future of spectrum policy on the
European level.

On Friday morning, we will hear from Fabrizio Sestini, program manager at
the European Commission in charge of Collective Awareness Platforms for
Sustainability and Social Innovation and Internet Sciences. He will discuss
his program, whose goal is to identify Internet technologies and systems
which, beyond commercial hype, can lead to a more open, inclusive and
collaborative society. Dr. Sestini will be hosting an all day workshop at
UPC to discuss this topic. All Summit participants are invited to attend.

On Saturday morning, Sascha Meinrath and Aaron Kaplan will reflect on their
10+ years of experience building and promoting CWNs. Their talk, entitled
"Everything We Did Wrong", will reflect on the things that it was
impossible to know back then and how to avoid making the same mistakes in
the future.

On Saturday evening, we are excited to welcome Marta Plana, member of the
board of the Comisión del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones in Barcelona.
Marta will speak of her work in Spanish regulatory policy and the future of
Spanish telecommunications.

We also have several very exciting social events planned, ranging from
simple cocktail parties to lavish receptions overlooking the ocean. Details
will be forthcoming in the next few days, so please pay attention to the
website and again, don't forget to register at
http://www.wirelesssummit.org/content/summit-registration

See you in a week, mes amis!

Faith