[EclecticSeizure] Phil Ochs & Fireworks

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 25 10:51:09 CDT 2001

Seizure Fans,

The Phil Ochs Story - a show dedicated to the life and music of Phil - is
accumulating enthusiasm. Much as July 4th seems like an appropriate day,
the 8-10 timeslot conflicts with fireworks, meaning that the show will be
even more under-listened-to than usual. Also, I'm not sure folk music and
fireworks go together. Fireworks are loud, overstated, and arrhythmic.

So for the 4th I want to play FIREWORKS MUSIC and I WOULD LOVE
SUGGESTIONS. I'm thinking loud and complicated works with numerous
accents. Such as "A Night on Bald Mountain" or "Lark's Tongues in Aspic".
Please let me know what kind of music you would like to listen to during
a fireworks display...

Another option is patriotic (meaning in anticiation of, rather than
celebration of, a great country) folk music.

Let me know if you're interested in contributing to the Phil Ochs Story.
It's possible we will schedule some kind of recording session to collect
Ochs tracks performed by us, for use on the show and Paul's "Serious
Folking Music" project. (We can also play songs live, although I doubt
we'll be able to capture any CD-quality audio on the WEFT equipment.)
Right now, July 18 looks like the date, except that halfway through this
sentence I checked and discovered that Phil's 61st birthday - Dacember
19th - actually coincides with my show, on an every-other Wednesday.

Jeepers, what a coincidence! But what a long time from now!

Oh golly,
William

PS ... Suggestions for other future shows always welcome.