[Gas] major new update

Sigfried Gold sigfried at onthejob.net
Fri Jun 8 08:04:08 CDT 2001

Ok, well, now I've looked a little bit and probably shouldn't
comment till I've spent more time with it; but at first glance
having every SQL query reported and full stack trace produces
so much text that errors and warnings that used to be easy to
see are now hidden.

Particularly, "Use of uninitialized value" errors are ones that
i want to have called to my attention, but with those appearing
below all the queries, there's a good chance i won't notice
them for a long time.

It would be nice at times to be able to turn on the reporting
of every query and the db trace -- particularly when you want
to see in detail what's happening along the course of a complicated
string of database calls.

But in an application like EON, where any cgi invocation can
result in 10 to 100 database calls, seeing every query listed
in the debug output is numbing.  And in the case where there
is a SQL error, having the text of every query available
is better than having none of them, but if there are a lot
of queries, it would still be nicer to be pointed directly
at the one causing the problem.

So, there are two solutions that seem better to me than the
current (as of last night) situation:

1) switch Gas error handling over to signal handlers entirely,
   at least for handling die events;
   minimal amount of stuff -- it would be nice though to
   retain color coding of errors, and it would be nice to
   have a separate debug option for turning on database
   logging

Sigfried