[Gas] A Change the template naming convention

Bill Entwistle ent at onthejob.net
Thu Mar 1 17:38:14 CST 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Bob Cook wrote:
> 2. They may be named the same name as their package with a .tmpl
> extension. (e.g., in the above example, the template could be named
> 'foo.tmpl').
>
> This makes identifying templates alittle easier for newbies (like me
> :-). It also allows such nice things as syntax highlighting of templates
> with html syntax (e.g. in vim, simply make a copy of the html.vim syntax

A couple cents worth of opinion...  Why not use .html for the file
extension?  Since they are in a directory named "templates", it
shouldn't be difficult to figure out that they're templates.  If you
call them .html files (which is, after all, what they are), then
editors that do syntax highlighting will automatically do it, and
they won't have to be reconfigured to handle another set of syntax
conditions which they already handle.  Also, if they are HTML files,
then you will be able to run them with browsers without having to copy
or rename them.  This is very useful when you're trying to code them
and want to see what they look like.  I think this last thing (being
able to edit them and run them directly as HTML) is one of the
main advantages of using templates.