[Gas] problems with back buttons in gas

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Fri May 18 18:45:40 CDT 2001

Sigfried Gold writes:

> gas has this feature where (at least in netscape) it reprocesses
> every page when you go to it using the back button (it also
> happens when you resize the browser or do a view source, which
> is weird).
>
> we have a page in the EON project where we want the back button
> to preserve the user's form selections, which doesn't happen
> now because of the reprocessing feature.
>
> any idea how we could get around that?  and would getting around
> it produce other problems?

I remember Matt Sharkey employing JavaScript to disable reloads on
resizing for PerlChameleon, but perhaps setting an appropriate value
for the HTTP expiration time might help.  The default is to have an
expiration of a year ago, but maybe you want an expiration of 10
minutes or an hour from now?  It depends on how soon, on average, your
content might become outdated.

Arun