[Gas] problems with back buttons in gas

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Sun May 20 15:50:30 CDT 2001

> gas has this feature where (at least in netscape) it reprocesses
> every page when you go to it using the back button (it also
> happens when you resize the browser or do a view source, which
> is weird).
>
> we have a page in the EON project where we want the back button
> to preserve the user's form selections, which doesn't happen
> now because of the reprocessing feature.
>
> any idea how we could get around that?  and would getting around
> it produce other problems?

I generally prefer for CGI generated pages to be regenerated
automatically so I made that the default in Gas. Generally I think it
is best that if you want to preserve form fields to do it in your code
by saving state when they submit and then retreiving state when they
reload the page.

This may or may not be too cumbersome for your application though so:

When you create the OutputManager you can give it a -expires
argument. Set this to something like "+1y" (it defaults to
"-1y"). This will be passed on to CGI.pm's header() method's -expire
parameter.

Beyond that, if netscape still messes with you: I blame netscape.