[Imc-events] GEO Labor Video Nite @ IMC

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at eudoramail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:03:29 CDT 2001

Come have some summer fun at the first ever GEO Labor Video Nite on Monday, August 13th at 7pm in the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (IMC).  We encourage you to come with your friend(s) and beverage (alcoholic or not) of your choice. Snacks will be provided.

GEO members have selected two films, a feature film and a short documentary, that highlight the critical contribution of women to the success of unions that excluded them.

We will first show 'Salt of the Earth' (1953), which examines ethnic and gender tension in a zinc miners' strike in New Mexico. Although
not a documentary, many of the roles were played by the strikers themselves and the union local had script input. The director, producer, and writer were all blacklisted. In fact, the director had served six months in prison for refusing to cooperate with the House
Un-American Activities Committee. [94 min.]

Then we will screen 'With Babies and Banners' (1978), an Academy Award nominee for Best Documentary, which focuses on the role of
women in one of the labor movement's most celebrated victories - the General Motors sit-down strike of 1936-37. [45 min.]

If you have any questions, or need a ride, please call the GEO office at 344-8283.