[Imc-events] alix olson to perform at imc

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at eudoramail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:25:28 CDT 2001

Spoken Word Sensation Alix Olson Performs @ IMC
Friday, August 17th at 8 pm

Olson will be promoting her debut CD Built Like That, which features musical guests Catie Curtis and Pamela Means. Having recently appeared on the cover of Ms Magazine (Dec.2000/January 01), Olson has developed a strong national fan base. She got her start as a member of the 1998 Nuyorican Poets Cafe National Slam Championship Team. Since that time, Olson has been thrilling national and international audiences at colleges, universities, theatres, clubs and events such as Portugal's 1999 FalaDura Poetry Festival and Holland's 2000 International Poetry Festival.

After a recent joint appearance in Berkeley, author/activist Howard Zinn extolled, "Alix brought me to my feet.  She is an ingenious poet, a brilliant performer, a funny person, and a serious thinker. She is, quite simply,
extraordinary."

The show starts at 8:00 PM, Aug. 17, at the U-C IMC, 218 W. Main St., Downtown Urbana. Admission is available on a sliding scale from $7 to $15.  For more information, contact the imc at 344-8820 or sarah kanouse at skanouse at eudoramail.com.