[Imc-events] Mark Erelli, Beth Amsel, Anne Feeney, Chris Chandler, Allette Brooks!

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Fri Oct 25 22:10:32 CDT 2002

3 Amazing Folk Shows Coming Up! All at the IMC, 218 W. Main,
Urbana. Right next to The Office.

Saturday, October 26.
Mark Erelli and Beth Amsel with Steve (from the Blackouts) and Roger
Cler and KC
8pm, All Ages, BYOB if 21+

This is going to be a fantastic party. I expect some upbeat foot
stomping and some spine tingling vocal performances out of this fine
cast of local and nationally musicians.

Mark Erelli is really a roots rocker in a folk musician's guise (and
what is the difference anyway?). He's been described as tasteful,
intelligent, sensitive, and unpredictible. He mixes old style country,
balladry, and folk-rock for a throughoughly modern combination.

Beth Amsel toured with Voices on the Verge and has been doing her own
solo singer songwriter performances for several years. Her soaring
voice is beautiful, her words are a musicial ride through love, loss,
want, desire, grief, and change. She's worked with the likes of Erin
McKeown and The Nields.

And then there's the two local acts. Steve is amazing whether he is
rocking out with the Blackouts or playing seriously rootsy accoustic
stuff on his own. He's played at the IMC with many rock shows but this
will be his Folk Series debut and I can't wait. Roger Cler and KC are
accoustic guitar and drums (drummer from Lorenzo Goetz).

And the best part of this show is that it is right after a big party
at the IMC to which ya'll are also invited. The IMC will be kicking
off it's capital campaign on Saturday at 5pm. There'll be food and fun
and we'lll talk about buying the building that the IMC is in.

Monday, October 28.
Anne Feeney and Chris Chandler with the Newspoets
8pm, All Ages, BYOB if 21+

Anne Feeney is a labor troubador in the best tradition. She travels
the country inspiring folks to make the world a better place,
spreading the news of the working world, and having fun. Chris
Chandler is wander poet musician and a total genius. His words crack
me up and they sear right right me. He's just downright crazy. When
the two of them team up the synergy of his crazy ranting and her old
time guthrie esque song stylings is unmatched. They've played the IMC
together before and we're glad to have them back.

The Newspoets are a local group of local and international poets
dedicated to writing a poem a day about the news. You'll laugh, you'll
cry, and you'll want to join their ranks by writing your
own. Newspoetry.com, where the com is for community.

Tuesday, October 29
Allette Brooks with MJ Walker and Fictive Kin
8pm, All Ages, BYOB if 21+

Allette sings "folk music for the internet generation". She's a west
coast folkie from the heart of silicon valley. Allette Brooks is a
driven, passionate singer-songwriter who's breaking the rules and
grinning. She sings folk music with a classically trained voice, an
ecologically aware attitude, and a self taught guitar playing
brilliance. She's witty and fun. She sings about love and life. For
her not only is the personal political, but the political is personal.

She says, "Being a folk artist, as opposed to being a mainstream pop
artist, is inherently political. It's a choice to relate to people on
a different level, to be really honest, and to be yourself."

MJ Walker is a long time favorite of the Urbana folk music scene
generally and the IMC specifically. She's played several shows with
Joni Laurence as well as opening for a number of nationally touring
acts. MJ is definitely one of my most favorite local
singer-songwriters. This time around she'll be bringing a new treat of
a rhythm section - the Fictive Kin.

And that is just the next 4 days! There are a bunch more folk shows
coming up next week.

All shows will be on a sliding scale with $10 suggested. (and you'd
easily pay $15 or more for any of these shows if you saw them on a
coast.)

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy