[Imc-events] This Friday at IMC Means and Brooks

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Wed Apr 2 18:17:31 CST 2003

Allette Brooks and Pamela Means
Friday, April 4th @ 8pm
$10-$15 Sliding Scale
http://www.pamelameans.com/
http://www.allettebrooks.com/

"Pamela Means is arguably the only Boston-based, Out folkie whose
punchy political songs have worn a hole in her guitar." As her latest
song "Two Halves" boasts, there is indeed more than one side of Pamela
Means. She is aggressive, bold, and attacking. She is shy, humble, and
if it need be said, adorable. She is biracial. She is queer. She
doesn't like Bush.

Pamela Means's "kamikaze guitar style, politically-charged lyrics, and
funky 'fro" are all her own. Fittingly, Means has made a habit of
quoting one of her deepest inspirations, Audre Lorde. "...I am myself-
a Black woman warrior poet doing my work- come to ask you, are you
doing yours?"

"Allette Brooks offers a fiery brand of folk that compares favorably
to such mavericks as Ani DiFranco and Michelle Shocked."

Allette Brooks is a driven, passionate singer-songwriter who's
breaking the rules and grinning.  Allette's deft touch and wit leaves
listeners laughing at themselves and our species, while appreciating
her skill on the strings. A student of human biology, she recognizes
the complexity of environmental/social issues. She focuses on raising
awareness rather than preaching solutions. Although, she says, "Being
a folk artist, as opposed to being a mainstream pop artist, is
inherently political. It's a choice to relate to people on a different
level, to be really honest, and to be yourself."

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (IMC)
218 W. Main St., Urbana, IL 61801, (217) 344-8820
The IMC is an ALL-AGES venue.  BYOB if 21+.

Take our survey and get a free sampler CD for the folk music series:
http://folk.chambana.net

Find out about other shows at the IMC including indie-rock, punk,
goth, folk, and alt-country:
http://shows.ucimc.org

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org/
UC Folk Music Associatation - http://folk.chambana.net/
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy