[Imc-events] This Sunday at IMC Brodsky, Gates, and Willis

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Wed Apr 2 18:20:47 CST 2003

(Hey folks, even if you've already seen the blurb about Adam and
Larry, I've added a new paragraph about Jaik Willis at the end. If you
had any doubts about coming to this show before, the addition of Jaik
should tip the scales. Jaik is a local treasure that I only just
discovered _last_night_).

Adam Brodsky with Larry Gates and Jaik Willis
Sunday, April 6th @ 8pm
$7-$10 Sliding Scale
http://www.adambrodsky.com/
http://www.lorenzogoetz.com/

"His in-your-face songsmithing has more in common with Woody Guthrie
than most of those saccharine-sweet neo-folkies out there."
	-- Eric Brace, Washington Post

Recently named "Best Folk Performer" in the Philadelphia City Paper
Music Awards, Adam Brodsky is one of the more distinct voices of folk
in Philadelphia today. Adam Brodsky sings and strums the same way he
writes -- relentlessly and without compromise -- saying what everyone
else wishes they could say. His music is a voice for oppressed rights,
oppressed cubicle workers and oppressed boyfriends everywhere, writing
with a brash sense of humor and a healthy respect for the roots of
American Folk Music.  He is best known for his outrageous style,
clever wordplay and a gift for performance. He leaves an unforgettable
impression and a lot of laughter in his wake.

Adam has had the honor of playing with performers like Kris
Kristofferson, Kinky Friedman, Moxy Fruvous, Hamell on Trial, Jill
Sobule, Dan Bern and Robbie Fulks.

Larry Gates is the lead singer and guitar player from local roots rock
band Lorenzo Goetz.  The band.s sound has been described as .The
Beatles meets Beck.. While giving attention to pop sensibility, LG
never ignores a neck-breaking groove. Diversity has allowed the group
to share the stage with a number of different local and regional
bands. At this show Larry will return to the IMC stage to play his
solo acoustic stylings.

Jaik Willis is a special surprise addition to the roster. A regular at
the Tuesday night Canopy Club open stage, Jaik is a Bloomington-based
traveling performer who plays from town to town for gas money and
tips. He writes original songs, including a fantastic song about
Freedom (the gas station). Jaik's sound is somewhere between Anti-Folk
and The Band and it is unlike anything I've heard from anyone
else. His energy is fierce, his vocal range is inhuman, his beard is
long. You've gotta check this guy out.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (IMC)
218 W. Main St., Urbana, IL 61801, (217) 344-8820
The IMC is an ALL-AGES venue.  BYOB if 21+.

Take our survey and get a free sampler CD for the folk music series:
http://folk.chambana.net

Find out about other shows at the IMC including indie-rock, punk,
goth, folk, and alt-country:
http://shows.ucimc.org

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org/
UC Folk Music Associatation - http://folk.chambana.net/
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy