[Imc-events] Joni Laurence and Kate Hathaway 2/22 @IMC

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Fri Feb 14 19:24:03 CST 2003

Local folk women playing at the IMC, 218 W. Main, Urbana. (Right next
to The Office, near Piccadilly and Strawberry Fields.)

Saturday, February 22nd, 2003
Joni Laurence and Kate Hathaway
8pm, All Ages, BYOB if 21+

I'd say these are two of the top 5 singer-songwriters playing in
Urbana-Champaign. Great words, great music, great voices, and
downright friendly people.

"Joni Laurence sings, plays guitar and writes songs, not unlike lots
of other girls with guitars. So, what makes her stand out? The truth
is, Joni's music is everything you already love about acoustic
music. strong vocals, meaningful lyrics and memorable melodies." When
I first heard Joni sing "Browntown" I was sufficiently inspired that I
made the decision then and there to never move out of Urbana. I hate
to put people in a box but Joni's box would be an Indigo Girls meet
Joni Mitchell shaped box.

Kate Hathaway is a local folk singer-songwriter who could easily be
touring the country. Her beautiful guitar and lyrics will keep you
riveted. I'd say Kate definitely spends some time in an Ani DiFranco
shaped box (but it's a big box with lots of windows and a door to walk
through).

This is the first show of the new folk music series season at the
IMC. Look forward to Pamela Means, Allette Brooks, Adam Brodsky, Holly
Figueroa, Beth Amsel, Brian Webb, Ripley Caine, Charlie King and Karen
Brandow, Alix Olsen, MJ Walker and Fictive Kin, and more coming this
spring.

Don't forget to take the UC Folk Music Association survey at
http://folk.chambana.net to get involved in the local folk scene.

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy