[Imc-events] Saturday - MJ Walker and Fictive Kin w/ Buster's Dream

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Fri Jun 20 01:29:48 CDT 2003

MJ Walker and Fictive Kin with Buster's Dream
Saturday, June 21st @ 8pm
$6-$15 sliding scale at the door ($10 suggested)

The Channing-Murray (above the Red Herring)
1209 W. Oregon St., Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 344-8820

Seriously folks, I've been looking forward to this show for
months. These are really two amazing acoustic ensembles with really
unique sounds. The chance to see them both in the same night is
fantastic.

MJ Walker is writer of hauntingly beautiful songs drawing from old
American Roots traditions of bluegrass and blues and mixing them with
contemporary folk. She has been playing in town for years with various
other musicians and solo but only in the last year has she been
playing with her new rhythm section, Fictive Kin. Fictive Kin brings
awesome spine-tingling harmonies, mandolin, bass guitar, and
percussion to the mix. The band has a very loose and laid back
approach to their sound that makes it the perfect porch music. When
you listen to Fictive Kin's songs you feel like you are part of a
generations old musical family. This is really unique stuff and CU is
so lucky to have MJ Walker's tremendous talent right in our backyard.

Buster's Dream has been honing their sound in a studio in rural
northern Illinois for the last year and is nearly ready to release
their first album. They play a high and lonesome sound that combines
the best influences of Rev. Blind Gary Davis's delta blues and Woody
Guthrie's folk. Acoustic guitars, mandolin, bass guitar, congas,
harmonica, and mountain harmonies. Dale and Linda, the guitarists at
the front of the band are the two best guitar players that I've met.

If you'd like a taste, some Buster's Dream tracks are available here:
http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/gallery/ushocker/busters-dream/

Come to four IMC sponsored folk shows and get your fifth one free.

IMC Shows at the Channing-Murray are all ages, non-smoking, and
non-alcoholic.

This show co-sponsored by WEFT 90.1 FM and Womyn Making Waves.
http://www.weftfm.org

Take our survey and get a free sampler CD for the folk music series.
http://folk.chambana.net

Oh and I'm really serious about this, if you are staying away from
these shows just because they seem pricey: admission will be on a
sliding scale and, space permitting, no one is turned away for
inability to pay. Yes, that means if the only way you could come to
this show is if you paid one buck then we'd rather have you there for
a buck than not there at all. Just keep in mind that every dollar you
pay helps to support this art and the IMC.

Saturday, June 28th - Adam Brodsky
Anti-Folk! Outrageous, dorky, in your face songsmithing. If you like
Dan Bern or Hamell on Trial, you'll love Adam Brodsky. If you hate
Adam Brodsky, you'll love Adam Brodsky!
http://www.adambrodsky.com

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org/
UC Folk Music Associatation - http://folk.chambana.net/
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy