[Imc-events] "As It Happens" Opening 3/11/3

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Fri Mar 7 09:56:16 CST 2003

"As It Happens"

Date: March 3-31 2003 (opening reception March 11, 7-9pm)
Location: The Middle Room Gallery @ The U-C IMC
218 W. Main Street, Urbana IL 61801

www.gallery.ucimc.org

"As It Happens" Photography by Julia Groves and Andrew Reynolds

This month the Middle Room Gallery is proud to present the work of two
local photographers, Julia Groves and Andrew Reynolds. While the two are
stylistically unique they both come from a background of concert and live
event photography which informs and enlivens the work.

Julia Groves artist statement:
In my work Intend to show those spaces in reality that resemble the
dreamlike, or otherworldly and that tend to go unnoticed, but are not
"unfelt." In this I mean those moments when you stumble upon something
supposedly usual, but it doesn't sit right. I hope to capture that feeling
in the gut we all get from seeing ambiguity, mistakes of the eye, and
perhaps our own psychological projections. In work I do for others,
photographing events or products, my intent is to frame another's beauty
with my eye. It's merely my perspective on their art. overall, it's about
focusing my lens to something otherwise overlooked.

Andrew Reynolds artist statement:
My work is intended to capture some of the energy of live music in small
venues.

I carried a camera on a year's worth of rock climbing trips before I tried
concert photography. That show led to more shows, and here I am.

Most of the bands I'm drawn to are playing tiny, poorly lit venues filled
with intensely loyal fans. My favorite shows tend to be the ones where the
dividing line between band and audience is minimal and both groups feed off
of each other's energy. The fast films these shooting conditions require
lend themselves well to documenting rawness of the music and the intensity
of the overall experience.

Opening reception: March 11th 7-9pm
Spirits provided by The Corkscrew Wine Emporium
Food provided by Strawberry Fields
Show runs from March 3rd-31st

The same evening we will be featuring musical performances on our back
stage by:
The Cadavers
Creatures From The Black Lagoon
Hollowed Out
Concert starts at 8pm $5 cover, all-ages

For further information contact the The Middle Room Gallery: gallery at ucimc.org

Jason Pitzl-Waters
jason at ucimc.org
Curator/Coordinator