[Imc-makerspace] Makerspace Table at IMC Open House this Saturday

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 11 12:46:36 CST 2010

The blinky thing is a bit too elaborate to give away, as it takes a
lot of time to make the circuit boards and to solder them.  1/2 hour
of labor for each piece is probably not something you want to do for
something that is given away.  The materials is like $1.00 (not
counting the battery) - it is the labor that would kill you.

Now, if you wanted to do kits, we might be able to do that.  But 2
days notice is a bit tight to get the stuff sourced and make up the
circuit boards.  I think I have enough supplies for 12 or so of them,
but only 6 or so circuit boards made.

On Mar 11, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Stewart Dickson wrote:

> How many Blinky kits does Jonathan have on-hand?
> How much does one Blinky kit cost to make?  (+printing instructions)
> Can we "give away" Blinky kits in return for a minimum donation to
> the IMC to cover Jonathan's cost and bolster the Makerspace?
>
> Does the Blinky board have a Makerspace-Mu logo on it?   A Jonathan
> Manton logo on it?
> How about a Blinky board in a business-card format with a couple of
> flat watch batteries mounted on the back of it?
>
> -Stewart
>
> Stewart Dickson wrote:
>> I will be there early to check out the Zoetropes, make sure the
>> motor mounts are well oiled
>> (the usual reason that they won't start).
>>
>> Do you have any idea where the Makerspace table will be located?
>>
>> What time will the Makerspace be open Saturday morning?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Stewart
>>

>> Brian Duggan wrote:
>>> Hi Makers,
>>>
>>> The IMC is holding an open house event this Saturday from 11 am to 2
>>> pm. All IMC working groups can setup tables to grab interested
>>> passersby. We should probably take advantage of this opportunity.
>>>
>>> I'm going to be there the whole time, but I'd love to have some
>>> company. I'll probably be doing a Help Desk table, too. If it's just
>>> me, I'll probably set up one table.
>>>
>>> In any case, we should probably have some literature... just a half
>>> sheet flyer explaining what we're about, where we are and when we
>>> meet. Can anyone whip this up?
>>>
>>> See people tonight and/or Saturday!
>>>
>>> Brian

believed to be clean.