[Imc-makerspace] Info about FabFi, mesh networking in Jalalabad Afghanistan and Nairobi Kenya

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 28 16:22:44 CDT 2011

I have mentioned this a couple of times to Brian, but wanted to send
it to the rest of you.  It regards successful projects to create
(literally build, using a fablab) mesh networks in Jalalabad
Afghanistan and Nairobi, Kenya.

FabFi is a pretty mature mesh system that consists of a master server,
wireless nodes, and reflector antennas.  It includes all the software
and instructions and even the plans to build the antennas.  Everything
is completely open source.

Current wiki documenting "FabFi" project:  http://code.google.com/p/fabfi/wiki/WikiHome?tm=6

A blog documenting the evolution of the FabFi project in Jalalabad,
Afghanistan:  http://blog.fablab.af/

If you start way back in December of 2008 (via the archives there),
you can follow the evolution of the project, from Boston to Jalalabad
(January 2009) to Kenya (July/August 2010) and back again.  It is a
fascinating read.

Amy also has her own blog which overlaps some with the one at
fablab.af, but also has different stuff, and goes back a lot further,
at:  http://scripts.mit.edu/~emu/fab/

This is probably my favorite post, and the first picture really gives
you a feel for what is happening there.  I think this was in either
2008 or 2009, so it has probably grown even more.