[Imc-makerspace] Learn how to setup distributed development workflows using Git

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:21:49 CDT 2011

I'm not sure Ms Potter is working with all the facts in this case. Simply
put (and honestly repeating myself for the nth time now) we use a program
called gitosis on our code server. This plugin moves the handling of
permissions away from operating system (unix style) permissions into its own
internal ACL system. Further it puts the login to a single OS level user (in
most cases git@) so that one user can be really really restricted to the
bare minimum operations. Futher this software really simplifies managing
multiple repos on a system with varying levels of access, without
overloading the OS native groups etc. Lots more info here:
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way

Further, with gitosis, you can get really nice redmine integration via the
gitosis plugin for that software, which is also being used on our servers.

Long story short: The need for separate user accounts for git repos is one
way of doing it, but it is the naive way, and good only in small scenarios
-- it gets really complicated beyond a handful of users and/or a handful of
separate repos.

Brian, can you please dive into this, or provide appropriate credentials to
me?

Regards,
Erich