[Imc-makerspace] Speaking of hosting

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 02:39:42 CDT 2011

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for reminding me :)

Josh King, Chambana.net admin extraordinaire, was here last month and
completely reworked our gateway and firewall. It's running OpenWRT now.
He also implemented a split horizon DNS setup that exposes our various
internal servers to the world at <hostname>.chambana.net which point to
one of our four external IPs.

He didn't include a config for kestrel, and for the moment I can't make
heads or tails of our new DNS system. I've requested more info from him
and we should have kestrel exposed soon. That will give us SSH and
whatever else we like at kestrel.chambana.net

Since we're already running web services on chambana.net, I'm unsure
whether we'll have to redirect web requests going to makerspaceu.org
through our existing web server or if kestrel can run http on another
external chambana.net IP. I've also asked Josh about this.

We'll get it sorted soon.

Brian

On 8/9/11 5:02 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:

> Which reminds me....
>
> I haven't gotten an update in a while.  What's the status of the new makerspace server.  Brian and I installed it a while back, but there was some network oddities that we couldn't figure out at the time.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to start using it, and something like these online courses would be a perfect fit.
>
> -jmj
>

> On Aug 9, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Chris Ritzo wrote:
>
>> Charles,
>>
>> Thanks for writing and expressing your interest. What you've described is certainly possible and highly desirable. It certainly would be an extension of our skillshare concept and the classes could be offered either online or in-person. In either case the IMC and in particular the makerspace group would be a perfect place to provide this community service. We have hosting infrastructure available and could discuss how it might happen.

Brian Duggan
Technical Projects Developer
UC Independent Media Center
http://www.ucimc.org | 631 223 8442