[Imc-makerspace] Future roles/expectations of Chambana.net Tech Working Group

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:29:57 CDT 2011

Hello friends,

I'm writing to provide a status of the Chambana.net Tech working group and
what the organization can expect of us from this point forward. We find that
it's important at this time to clearly set expectations so that the
organization as a whole, affiliated programs and working groups can do what
is necessary to have technology needs met. Since these needs vary widely
from group to group, and person to person, this email is meant to serve as a
guide to what our working group can reasonably provide to the UC-IMC. We
continue to be a volunteer group, and share some workspace with Makerspace
Urbana. Since there is some synergy between Tech and Makerspace, I've
provided some clarification below on the Computer Help Desk service as well.

Given the size of our group and that we no longer employ an Americorps
member, we offer no defined expectation of service level, timeliness of
response, or support level that one might expect at other organizations or
businesses. We recommend that moving forward, the UCIMC and its working
group plan and budget for its technology purchases and support beyond what
is offered here. What we can continue support will be core functions of the
IMC building network and the services that run on it. We will also
collaborate with technical liaisons of working groups seeking to support
their respective parts of the organization.

*IMC/Chambana.net Tech Group*
The tech group will continue to support the Internet connection to the
UC-IMC. We also supported the wired and wireless networks in the building.
That means we support service down to the Ethernet jack or WiFi access
point.

We also host the website of the UCIMC and have supported feature development
and updating of site functionality. Tech will continue to support this
hosting and development as time allows. *We welcome and encourage new and
existing members to get involved in the updating and editing of the UCIMC
website, including engaging in the skill development to administer the site
itself*. Any interested individuals or working groups may consult with Tech
to receive mentoring support.

Tech has also supported the websites of several working groups. We will
continue to support the hosting of working group websites. However, hosting
means that *we provide the servers and minimal setup to host websites*.
Working groups must support the development and updating of their own
websites. The Tech group does not provide website development services to
working groups, but will support members who are interested in working on
existing and future websites of the UCIMC and its working groups.*

Listservs *- Mailing lists have been a critical mode of communication and
are available here: http://lists.chambana.net
Tech will keep listservs running and minimally support list owners with
access, ownership transfer and othe. It is the responsibility of list owners
to administer their lists.

*Email and other network services* - We have several other services
available on our networks- email, chat, wiki, etc. These services are
provided as is and are minimally supported. Our basic goal is to keep the
services on if they are in use.

Finally, in the past the Tech group has taken computer equipment donations
and installed public workstations and computers for use in areas such as the
production room and the finance office. This will no longer be possible
under the current local membership constraints of our working group. We
cannot assist with future computer, printer or other hardware purchases or
installations. The Tech group does not accept computer or other equipment
donations without direct consultation. All donation inquiries should be
directed to imc-tech at lists.chambana.net and none should be accepted
otherwise.

*Makerspace Urbana
*We should clarify that the Makerspace is a working group just like BTP or
WRFU, and is an open environment during posted open hours. You can view open
hours and events on the Makerspace calendar:
http://bit.ly/makerspacecalendar

*The Computer Help Desk*
Volunteers from the Makerspace Urbana working group now run the Computer
Help Desk service.
The Computer Help Desk does not support computers or IT infrastructure for
*any* businesses, including the UC Independent Media Center. Businesses,
including non-profits, should hire IT personnel (not AmeriCorps volunteers)
or contract with professional IT support businesses for support.

Finally, just like the Tech Group, Makerspace does not accept computer or
other equipment donations without direct consultation. All donation
inquiries should be directed to imc-makerspace at lists.chambana.net and none
will be accepted otherwise.

Please contact the IMC tech listserv if you have questions or concerns:
imc-tech at lists.chambana.net