[Imc-makerspace] Visit in Feb/March?

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Tue Dec 13 18:41:54 CST 2011

I don't know how School for Designing a Society connected up with Gareth
Branwyn during his Unit One residence in October, 2010, but I'll work on
making sure the introduction happens for you, Mitch.

Unit One People generally means Students, and Allen Hall having an Arts
bent, they are generally
Art students, I think.   I would love to publicize around Elect.
Eng./Comp. Sci. as well -- although
the Unit One venue tends to fill up quickly.

Yeah, getting students over for a visit to the MakerSpace is not
something we have tried to
specifically organize, I don't think.   It is a good idea.   I just
wonder what the best way would be to go about organizing it.

Here are the opportunities for synergy that I see at the MakerSpace/U-C
IMC.   Jacob Barton does
OddMusic at the IMC, which is generally acoustic (non-electronic).  But
the most rockin' workshops we have had have been put on by CMKT4, the
circuit-bending band from DeKalb, IL.
They have done a DIY contact-mic-making workshop.  Another electronic
music-themed
workshop would go over really well, I think.  (That's how I got started
down the road to Elect.
Engr., myself in the 1970s.)

The Bike Co-op is located in the IMC as well.   There is such potential
for mutant-bike building,
but there is not really anyone that I know of who does this at the IMC
while I have been around.
My son ran over to the Bike Co-op for extra parts during our Throwies
workshop, and we made
some Throwies specifically to ride on bike wheels, etc.

The radio station, WRFU is also in the IMC.  Back in the beginning,
there was another member
of the MakerSpace who knew what Ham Radio was.  The Mesh-WIFI Reading
Group is the most
regular wireless communication event that we have.   There are several
HAM radio clubs in the
area and I'd love to be able to bring them in.   I never get any
response when I try to contact them.  The Rocketry club exhibited at the
Maker Faire in 2010.

If something strikes your fancy, please let me know, and I'll try to
help facilitate putting it together.

Cheers,

-Stewart