[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: Commisioned Robot for Film

MakerSpace Urbana makerspaceu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:39:12 CST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Quinn <andrewpquinn at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Subject: Commisioned Robot for Film
To: makerspaceu at gmail.com

Makerspace,

My name is Andrew Quinn. I am the Production Designer for *Yellow Springs* a
Sci-Fi short film set in a future where people have become addicted to
living out another live by way of a virtual reality. The film centers
around "Number 11" a young girl who awakes from living out an 80 year old
man's life. Upon returning to the "real world" she is greeted by Smokey, a
robot who tends to the people plugged into the virtual world.  This film
will be made in the style of a drug film like Transpotting or Requiem for a
Dream.

We are in need of a somewhat functional robot to play the part of Smokey.
The robot is still in the development stage but we have a few idea of what
he should look like. Think of 50's tin toy robots; very boxy, crude, metal,
dirty, lots of knobs and blinking lights. Attached is a
good reference photo.

The robot needs to be able to move its arms up and down and put a cigarette
to its mouth. We were thinking it could roll around VIA a remote controlled
car. He should also be able to turn his head like a human. One idea we
liked, was using a oscilloscope as his mouth.  Again, the robot is in a
film so it doesn't have to function mechanically, it could be operated like
a puppet or by a man inside, if this keeps the cost low.

Is this something your hackerspace would be interested in creating. If so,
how much do you think it would cost? I would like to work closely with you
on the look of the robot, but the functionality is what I really need help
with. I am located in Muncie, Indiana so I might not be able to work with
you in person, but would be very available via phone call or Skype. Once
the robot is completed I would drive to pick the robot up.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I look forward to hearing from you
soon.

--
-Andrew P. Quinn
765.635.1594