[Imc-makerspace] January Membership Meeting Minutes [1/22]

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 21:03:50 CST 2012

Thanks to everyone for coming!  We were glad to see a few new faces :)

Attendees: Stewart, Derek, Jeff, Brian, John, Erich, Barry, Gergana, Sunah,
Colton

- Opens

- Website server crashed again, site is down; would be nice to have someone
in charge of this so downtime is minimized; Chris is working on getting
someone

- Chris started new makerspace-keystaff mailing list; to be used for
business-related manners, not applicable to full listserv

 - Membership update

- Chris is working towards getting us more volunteers, networking
opportunities, etc.; he can provide an update next time

- Help Desk pulled $80 last week

            - Potential recruits could come from Community Informatics club

 - Website domain renewals: makespaceu.{org, com, net} and
makerspaceurbana.{org, com, net}

- Jeremy already renewed them for another year.  Thanks, Jeremy!  He will
get reimbursed

- Do we need all of them?  Point is moot due to renewal; will bring this up
again in Sept/Oct '12

- Jeremy to continue as point of contact; Erich will talk to Jeremy this
week to clarify

- Upcoming events
     *) Mitch Altman visit (Feb. 26 - March 1)

- Stewart already in contact; Mitch will be doing Tech Knowledge on that
Thurs morning

- Can also do a potential workshop with the Makerspace while he’s here
     *) Maker Faire (April 14)

- no activity due to maternity/holidays/busy time

- Erich will update list once things start to pick-up
     *) Another movie night

- Feb. 12

- Potential movies:

- Tron / Tron: Legacy

- Real Genius

- Weird Science

- War Games

- Blade Runner

- Live Free or Die Hard

- Gergana will poll the Facebook members

- Possible projects:
     *) Robot for indy sci-fi short film

- Stewart will follow-up with filmmaker to check on timeframe, funding, etc.
     *) DARPA's MENTOR Makerspace program

- No interest
     *) 24/7 video telepresence with another hackerspace

- Postpone until UC2B is a reality; could then do this with someone local
(FabLab?)

     *) Portable desk idea; Makerspace is interested; Chris to send out
more details once available
     *) We should also start thinking of possible workshops for 2012

- Community-oriented workshops focusing on houses with new internet access
through the UC2B project (coming later this year); Sunah to give an update
in the Feb/March meetings

- Maybe repeat pewter casting workshop?  Person to teach it last time might
have left town

- Come with ideas next time!

Let me know if I missed anything.

Peace out,