[Imc-makerspace] Use Media to Transform your Community: Grassroots Radio Conference July 26-29, 2012 in Urbana, Illinois

Austin McCann theaustinmccann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:53:25 UTC 2012

Hi local GRC partners,

Please help us invite folks to the GRC and consider yourself warmly
invited! Here's a template with an announcement to invite people to the
GRC. I've also attached our press kit -- a radio PSA, press release, and
poster.

Thanks,
Austin

Hi ____,

I wanted to make sure you know about this opportunity nearby you to learn
everything you need to know to start or grow a community radio. I'll be
there presenting - hope you can make it. Travel and registration
scholarships are available if that's a barrier. Please pass on the word!

*Grassroots Radio Conference 2012: <http://www.grassrootsradioconference.org/>
*
 *The Future of Community Radio <http://www.grassrootsradioconference.org/>*
*
*
*July 26-29, 2012*
*Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, Illinois*
*REGISTER NOW <http://www.grassrootsradioconference.org/registration>*

[image: Inline image 1]

Featuring:
Keynote speaker *Joe Torres*, co-author of *News for All the People: *
*The Epic Story of Race and the American Media*,
Acclaimed poet *Hakim Bellamy *
& more!

Does your community need more independent media?

Thanks to national legislation, we are facing the biggest expansion of
community radio <http://prometheusradio.org/start_a_station> in US history,
with stations soon to be available in most major cities where they can
reach up to half a million listeners.

Learn how to form a local coalition to start a radio station in your
community and stream online. Integrate multimedia, community engagement,
arts, and journalism into your station.
 Learn about public broadband and community wireless.  Produce media, get
fundraising support, and learn how to do outreach.

Whether you're an experienced broadcaster, or if you've never made media
before, come learn how you can help expand community radio and amplify
voices in your town or city! Look at the
sessions<http://grassrootsradioconference.org/sessions> and
presenters <http://grassrootsradioconference.org/presenters>.

*REGISTER NOW* <http://www.grassrootsradioconference.org/registration>

$75-125 for the weekend.  Home-stays, childcare (ages 1-9),
rideshare<http://grassrootsradioconference.org/forum/8>forum and
Spanish translation are available.  As are worktrades
and scholarships<http://www.grassrootsradioconference.org/content/affording-grc>
.
 Hosted by Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center <http://www.ucimc.org/>,
a vibrant community center and home to WRFU Radio Free Urbana 104.5 LP-FM.

Co-sponsored by Free Press, Brown Paper Tickets, Prometheus Radio Project,
the New America Foundation's Open Technology Insitute, WRFU 104.5 - Radio
Free Urbana, WEFT 90.1 FM, Illinois Public Media, Urbana Public Television,
Volo Broadband, Media Action Grassroots Network, Makerspace Urbana, and
Chambana.net.

Contact: Austin McCann 2012grc at gmail.com or 217-344-8820.

--
Austin McCann