[Imc-makerspace] July Membership Meeting [7/29 Minutes]

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 00:29:41 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming today.  Here are the minutes.  Please add things as you
see fit.

Attendees: Stewart, Barry, Jeff, Gergana, Will, Brian, Chris, Carl

*) Opens
     - IMC-Tech meeting quick update: Brian Duggan & Josh King were here;
got a good rundown of Chambana.net - need to move the servers from the
peepway due to electrical issues; Acorn Media got some funding, might do
some funds-matching to improve the servers;
       $) Brainstorming ideas:
          +RFID keylocks - maybe combine with streaming camera that turns
on when a member enters the space, displaying the member's interests, tech
skills, etc.; also list how long you'll be there for, etc. (via google
phone); Stewart/Barry/Chris will look into this & get interested people;
          +Hire a part-time MakerSpace staff person;
          +Have an ongoing class/project (similar to former mesh-wifi
reading group) - maybe programming, etc. - something more specific than
general open hours (considering 3D printer training sessions on a weekly
basis)
       $) For more info, read Stewart's minutes from the meeting

*) Membership/Finance update
     - Still ok on money; will take another look next month
     - All membership info is in a google docs collection shared with
keystaff so everyone has access; will use to keep track of our records
(reimbursements, etc) to make sure we match up with IMC records; Chris will
also add reimbursement forms to the google docs collection
     - General keystaff issues: need to do some research into how other
spaces do it; maybe need to implement a sponsor program before you get a
key; revisit this again next month

*) Summer Make-a-tion 2012 update
     - Only 2 workshops left on Aug. 4th;
       $) Arduino workshop: servos are their way; we're pretty much set to
go
       $) Sewing workshop: Rose is planning on doing a satchel bag; still
unclear on the electronic bits of the workshop - our options are a wifi
detector (might be too complicated for newbies) or a magnet switch (our
most likely option);
           +Jeff will be doing a quick prototype on Wednesday so stop by
office hours!  Also need to clean out the space beforehand; come by earlier
on Saturday morning if you want to help out.

*) Upcoming/potential events:
     - Last 2 make-a-tion workshops on Aug. 4, then a party
       $) Decided on Aug. 18 for the party; will do a slide show with
pictures from the make-a-tion with pizza, drinks, followed by a movie night
     - "Out of the mouths of babes" workshop, Aug. 11, 2-4pm
       $) Had a summer workshop on teaching kids how to setup radio; asking
if we want to setup a Makerspace table during their closing ceremony event;
might do a Play-doh electronics workshop, soldering might be too dangerous;
will look at it during Open Hours
     - Innovation LLC workshop, Thurs, Aug. 23
       $) Innovation LLC is a living/leaning community where they connect
students with entrepreneurial resources; want to bring students from 2:30pm
to 5pm; planning on doing the soldering workshop, plus something on the 3D
printer (which should have arrived by then);
       $) Jeff to teach, a couple of people can skip out on work early and
help out
     - Another movie night?
       $) Yes. Decided to combine with end-of-make-a-tion party on Aug. 18;
     - Consider doing something with the 3D printer (whenever that gets
here)
       $) First thing to do: need a general intro and training on how to
use it, software training, etc.; once we get it, we'll spend a Saturday
figuring it out;
       $) Also consider doing weekly/monthly training sessions for people
that are interested - Brian is willing to lead this starting in late August
(after QUALS)
     - Chris is working on a video game arcade for the space: additional
income and also awesome!
     - Need to reschedule the Green Purpose workshop; Erich needs to handle
this since he was in contact with Whitney
     - Stewart will be organizing a collaboration b/w Bike project, EV
club, and Makerspace for a workshop, etc.

Let me know if I missed anything.  See you around!

~Gergana