[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: [freeside] Bay Area Startup Wants to Deliver Tacos Via Unmanned Quadcopter (Maybe)

Stewart Dickson mathartspd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:30:22 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[freeside] Bay Area Startup Wants to Deliver Tacos Via
Unmanned Quadcopter (Maybe)
Date: 	Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:46:40 +0000
From: 	Curbob <curbob at gmail.com>
To: 	Freeside Atlanta <freesideatlanta at googlegroups.com>

      Sent to you by Curbob via Google Reader:

    Bay Area Startup Wants to Deliver Tacos Via Unmanned Quadcopter
    (Maybe)
    <http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-03/bay-area-startup-wants-deliver-tacos-unmanned-quadcopter-drone-maybe>

via Popular Science - New Technology, Science News, The Future Now
<http://www.popsci.com> by Clay Dillow on 3/26/12

*TacoCopter.com* //
Hoaxes involving Cal-Mex are twice as cruel

It's the kind of tech startup that we could really get excited about if
we weren't fairly certain it's some kind of hoax. A Web site has popped
up at TacoCopter.com <http://tacocopter.com/> that offers a unique
service: tacos airlifted directly to your doorstep via unmanned
quadcopter drone. The rise of the machines never sounded so scrumptious.

Here's the idea as outlined on TacoCopter.com: customers download a
smartphone app, which allows them to order tacos to a specific location.
The tacos then arrive via flying quadcopter. Tipping your delivery drone
is presumably optional. That's it. It's so brilliant, we can't believe
the kids down at the GRASP Lab
<http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-03/video-grasp-lab-quadcopters-jam-out-james-bond-theme>
haven't already cornered the market on this.

But all may not be as it seems. The TacoCopter.com site says the service
is in private beta (you can request an invite) in the San Francisco Bay
area, and Digital Trends
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/tacocopter-to-use-flying-drones-to-deliver-your-tacos-possibly/>
notes that the domain is registered to one Star Simpson, whose claim to
Internet fame
<http://boingboing.net/2007/09/21/mit-student-arrested.html> was having
a homemade LED shirt mistaken for a bomb at Boston Logan International
some years back. The charges stemming from that incident were
"possession of a hoax device."

So is TacoCopter.com simply another hoax? The thing is, Simpson is of
MIT origins, a self-proclaimed inventor, artist, and engineer. That's
somewhat annoying, since we don't know which hat she might be donning as
the human intelligence behind TacoCopter.com. For now, we're assuming
that we're going to have to continue getting our tacos the old-fashioned
way (or in our case, being an NYC-based operation, our lobster
rolls--the Web site teases East Coasters with the promise of
"LobsterCopter," the "Taco of the East!")

But if there's a more important takeaway here--even more important than
the tantalizing possibility of air-dropped carnitas--it's that this sort
of thing is less far-fetched than it might seem. The FAA is opening up
the national airspace to drones
<http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-02/under-newly-authorized-airspace-rules-drones-will-fly-alongside-piloted-planes-2015>
over the next few years. By the end of 2015, all kinds of unmanned
systems will have access to the skies. The potential for quadcopter
couriers and other robotic, semi-autonomous or autonomous transport
grows more real by the day. If the future really is filled with
self-driving cars and autonomous aerial drones, then it's fair to say
that the delicious on-demand Cali-Mex experience of the future could
very well have a robotic aspect to it.

While we breathlessly await that future, we invite any Bay area readers
who want to investigate to let us know how it goes. The comments section
below, as always, is all yours.

[Digital Trends
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/tacocopter-to-use-flying-drones-to-deliver-your-tacos-possibly/>]

      Things you can do from here:

    * Subscribe to Popular Science - New Technology, Science News, The
      Future Now
      <http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.popsci.com%2Frss.xml?source=email>
      using *Google Reader*
    * Get started using Google Reader