[Imc-makerspace] purchase possibilites

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:36:01 UTC 2012

Brian from secotor 67 was in town this weekend and left Tom with some parts
made form their Ultimaker. Tom said he would bring the parts to movie night
tonight and that Brian had some advise on what to perhaps buy so hopefully
we can also talk about that tonight as well.

Jeff

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Brian Williams <brn.j.williams at gmail.com>wrote:

> I talked to a friend who is currently building a Mendel, he
> recommended getting plastic from:
> http://www.fabbr.com/p/store.html
>
> We could probably look around and get someone to print us parts for
> free, but these guys make a lot of these kits, so we'll probably get
> better quality.  And it's reasonably priced.
>
> And here's the method to get 100MHz out of the cheap Rigol oscilloscope:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Hacking-the-Rigol-DS1052E-Oscilloscope-with-Linux/
>
> -- Brian
>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Colten Jackson <jazzyjackson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A few options for 3D printers:
> >
> > Printrbot:
> > $550 6x6 build platform: http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot/
> > $700 8x8 build platform: http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-2/
> >
> > these have a 3 week lead time til shipping, and the guy who started
> > the company sounds pretty great. From the reprap wiki:
> > http://reprap.org/wiki/Printrbot
> >
> > "Through our "Print It Forward" program, we will ask each school to
> > print, assemble and donate a Printrbot to 3 other schools. Although
> > everyone is welcome to source their own parts, Printrbot.com will
> > offer discounts to make this feasible. By relying on schools and
> > Printrbot owners to print 3 other sets of parts to construct a
> > Printrbot, we hope to spread the RepRap love far and wide!"
> >
> > Pretty true to the original Replicator dream, throw in a few parts
> > from the hardware store - $130 for the Printrbot motherboard to run
> > the whole thing. Maybe we can start a makerspace replicator program,
> > get makerspaces to build Printrbots for each other.
> >
> > The Prusa Mandel:
> >
> > $500 8x8x5.5 build envelope, includes all the parts except ones that
> > can be printed.
> > http://www.a2aprinter.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=42
> >
> > Available from a lot of places, here's a list on the wiki:
> > http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_Buyers_Guide
> >
> > This is most economical, judging from the availability it looks to be
> > the most popular.
> >
> > Strangely, the original Makerbot Thing-o-Matic doesn't seem to be for
> > sale anywhere. They retailed at $1,100 anyway. There's a new, bigger
> > one for $1,700 they're selling on the Makerbot website.
> > http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html
> >
> > So we can talk about how much DIY we want to do, see if we can get in
> > contact with another makerspace that already has a 3d printer, see if
> > they can help us replicate it for us :) I think doing it
> > collaboratively would be the most fun, and get some guys with
> > experience to help us out.
> >
> > On the other hand, for $200 more I really like the printrbot, much
> > cleaner design, 8"x8"x8" build envelope is the biggest, the Makerbot
> > Replicator is ~9"x6"x6"
> >
> > Printrbot is largely laser cut wood construction, so we could do it a
> > lot cheaper if we collab with the fab lab and buy the parts seperately
> [...]

Jeffrey Putney
Senior Software Engineer
Diagnostic Photonics
217-766-6580

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING
This electronic message contains information which may be privileged
and/or confidential. This information is intended for the exclusive use
of the individual(s), entity, or person(s) named or indicated above. Any
unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of any
parts of the contents of this message/information is strictly
prohibited by federal law. Any attempts to intercept this message are
in violation
of Title 18 U.S.C. 2511(1) of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
(ECPA). All violators are subject to fines, imprisonment or civil
damages, or both.