[Imc-makerspace] Fwd: [IMC] Can Technology Serve Social Justice? Lecture today, IMC Tour Friday, workshop Sat.

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:55:00 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Danielle Chynoweth <chyn at ojctech.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Subject: [IMC] Can Technology Serve Social Justice? Lecture today, IMC Tour
Friday, workshop Sat.
To: imc <imc at ucimc.org>

UCIMC is cosponsoring Virginia Eubanks visit to town this week.  She is a
long time organizer and thinker about how technology can empower
communities working for social justice.  She will be presenting at
Champaign Library today, Wed at 5:30pm.  We're giving her a tour of the IMC
at 1:30pm.  And Sat at 10am she is doing a workshop at Douglass.  Please
feel free to come to any/all of these events. - Danielle

ABOUT THE LECTURE:
Virginia Eubanks, information scholar-activist and cofounder of two
grassroots community organizations, will be presenting her free public
lecture, “Can Technology Serve Social Justice?”

Champaign Public Library, 200 West Green Street, Champaign
Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

Her talk is sponsored by the proposed Center for Digital Inclusion at
GSLIS. Contact Sharon Irish at Sharon Lee Irish <slirish at illinois.edu> for
more information.
The event is co-sponsored by the Center for Advanced Study, the Mix IT Up!
Youth Advocacy Project funded by the Institute of Museum and Library
Services, Inclusive Illinois, Action Research Illinois, the Gender and
Women’s Studies Program, the Women’s Resources Center at the University of
Illinois Urbana-Champaign, with Champaign County Health Care Consumers and
the Independent Media Center.

ABOUT THE WORKSHOP:
Our Knowledge Our Power: Making Broadband Work for All of Us

FREE COMMUNITY WORKSHOP
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 10-noon
Douglass Library Meeting Room
Douglass Branch Library, 504 East Grove Street, Champaign

With Virginia Eubanks and Christine Nealon
This Popular Technology Workshop will energize participants to take charge
of information and communication technologies and organize in their
communities for better health care, education, housing and wages. Framed
within a national anti-poverty movement and a campaign for economic human
rights, this workshop enables participants to collect and share
testimonies of survival and resistance from people on the margins. No
technological skills are necessary to participate. Come share your story!

While there is no charge, please register at slirish at illinois.edu or
217.766-2411 by September 14 so we can plan ahead.