[Imc-makerspace] August Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 03:48:21 UTC 2013

Thanks for attending today, everyone!  Here're a few notes on our meeting.

Attendees: James, Stewart, Danielle, Monica, Liz, Emily, Barry, Jeff,
Gergana

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- Thanks to Barry & Colten for recycling all the old electronics!
    -- We're getting a banner!  Hopefully this week.
    -- Rachel Storm from the IMC board wants greater participation on the
IMC Facebook page
         $) She has requested social media info from the working groups
         $) Ideally, we need admin access to the IMC FB page; *Gergana will
e-mail Rachel* and request access for a bunch of us
    -- How do we get mail here? *Barry will figure out* how to get a
mailbox at the IMC for MU
    -- We should post on MeetUp.com for our open hours: All
DONE<http://www.meetup.com/Makerspace-Urbana/>(thanks, Emily)
         $) Will try it for 6-months and see how it goes
    -- Need tax forms for IMC/MU for donations; *Emily will talk to
Carol*about it

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Current financial status
         $) Status of Shared Threads funds transfer (Barry/Elizabeth):
still to do
         $) Square/Stripe account (Erich)
              %) Both Stripe and Square accounts have been established
              %) Still need to get the Stripe link posted on the site (*Gergana
to talk to Erich*)
              %) Should quantify our membership/sustainer levels; *Emily
will come with a proposal* for the next meeting
     -- Help Desk
         $) Acorn active media could potentially support Help Desk; Emily
is working on that
         $) Getting pretty busy recently, Barry considering extending the
hours & training volunteers to help out
         $) *Barry will send a short blurb to Stewart* to read out on the
radio
    -- Liability waivers
         $) Would like all keyholding members to sign one
         $) Blank ones now available in the file cabinet

*) RFID lock project: no update

 *) Py-CU
    -- Going really well!
    -- Py-CU Camp coming up: Sept 16 to Oct 28 (on Mondays)
         $) Will focus on introducing a key concept every week, great for
beginners
    -- Check out py-cu.github.com for more info

*) Past events:
    -- Summer Make-a-tion<http://makerspaceurbana.org/make-a-tion/make-a-tion-2013/>
        $) Pewter, DIY BrewYOB (Aug. 10)
        $) Router Hacking, Arduino Robots (Aug. 24)
        $) Great success overall!  Positive cash flow to cover rent for the
next couple of months
        $) End of summer Make-a-tion party: to coincide with GEO party next
Friday (8/30) at the IMC @ 7pm
              %) *Emily to get* cups, plates, napkins, paper towels, etc.
        $) We should do a survey to gauge which workshops worked; *Monica
to work on that*
    -- Tandem <http://www.tandemcu.org/> Bike Art Show (Aug. 16): we've
submitted an entry<http://makerspaceurbana.org/2013/08/16/makerspace-urbana-represent-at-tandem/>
        $) Art show is over but the project was pretty cool
        $) We should consider selling it on Etsy, as well put kits together
and sell those on Etsy
              %) *Emily will get that rolling*, please send all necessary
info to her
    -- Out of the Mouths of Babes reception (Aug. 18, 2-4pm)
         $) Did post-it speakers and LED origami with the kids: fun times!
    -- Innovation LLC workshop (Aug. 22 - 1:30pm to 3pm)
         $) Thanks to James for his rad presentation, now posted on the MU
About page <http://makerspaceurbana.org/about-mu/>
         $) Did basic soldering with blinky badges & contact mikes
         $) Invoice sent to Jennifer, waiting to hear back
    -- Quad day @ the IMC table (Aug. 25)
         $) Very hot outside but good foot traffic

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Table @ the Farmer's Market (Aug. 31 - 7am to noon)
         $) *Monica will do a doodle* to figure out shifts
    -- Quarterly Clean-up Day (Sept 7)
    -- Fall Family Fest @ Orchard Downs Community Center (Sept. 8 - noon to
2pm)
         $) Should be low commitment; might do speakers & LED origami again
    -- Table @ C-U Pride Fest (Sept. 14 - 2pm to 9pm)
         $) Currently planning on doing finger-weaving and DIY buttons +
Pride LED flag
              %) *Monica will check into* what supplies are needed
    -- Corkscrew Wine Gala to benefit the Orpheum @ Krannert (Sept. 18,
5:30-8:30pm): buy tickets!
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (Sept 21)
         $) Next planning meeting is on Monday, Aug. 26 @ 7pm at the
Makerspace
         $) Good progress on makers, sponsorship & press; tell your friends
to sign-up, still have tables available!
         $) Still need for Makerspace to sign up; *Jeff will fill out the
form* for MU
     -- Monthly "Welcome to 3D printing" workshop
         $) Colten has great interest in getting that rolling
         $) We have all the teaching materials for it, can be re-used in
the upcoming workshops

I think that's about it.  If I missed anything, let me know.

See you around,
~Gergana