[Imc-makerspace] February Membership Meeting, Sunday, 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:24:17 UTC 2013

Thank you all for coming tonight!  Here are a few notes on our discussion.

Attendees: Jeff, Brian, Liz, Emily, Barry, Chris, Carleen, Edward, Anna,
Dan, Bill, Erich

*) Opens
    -- Still need to get stuff from the "to buy" list; *Jeff to purchase
*    -- IMC programming committee update: no updates
    -- Anna: doing a semester-long Social Justice project in collaboration
with the Makerspace
       #) Will be looking to do general promotion & marketing (along with
Carleen)
       #) Also will be working on creation of a promotional kit for the
Makerspace (for future funding)
    -- Fundraising ideas: *Barry will start selling* some of the unused
hardware on Craigslist

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Lease renewal for the Makerspace
       #) We're up for renewal in February; *Barry & Jeff will sign on* for
the next year
    -- Google analytics review: no update
    -- Financial status
       #) Having some issues getting regular reports: no automatic option
now, have to ask for them
       #) Furthermore, paypal donation link is broken
       #) Could consider keeping our own accounting (similar to bike
project)
       #) Or maybe get a sub-account under the main IMC account
       #) A small group (Chris, Emily, Erich, and Elizabeth) will meet to
discuss our future options, including the above and a potential Square
account
       #) To send proposal out to list by *March 17*; will discuss at next
March membership meeting

*) RFID lock update
    -- Going well
    -- Dan (from Lincoln) has a functioning prototype, might come over
during Tuesday meetings

*) Past events:
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (The Urbana Free Library Edition)
       #) Feb. 7: First workshop - learn to solder blinky badges
       #) Feb. 21: First 1/2 of the Atari Punk Console kit
    -- Girls Geek Out @ the Women's Resource Center (Feb. 18)
    -- Fiber splitting workshop continues ...

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (The Urbana Free Library Edition)
       #) Thursdays in Feb and start of March @ 3:30pm
       #) *Erich & Edward have agreed* to teach the last circuit bending
workshop
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (Bethel Church Edition)
       #) Jeff, Chris, and Billy will meet with pastor this coming week; to
send update
       #) Looking to do 3-part workshop on Saturdays focusing on basic
computing, take apart a computer, etc.
    -- Discotech (Jan/Feb '13 timeframe): no update
    -- Girls do Science group @ the Orpheum (Feb/March '13 timeframe)
       #) Will happen on April 29, 3:45-5:30pm
       #) *Gergana & Emily will spearhead* this effort
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (Sept 21)
       #) No update on grant
       #) Looking to do it again at the IMC main room
       #) If looking to get involved, e-mail Chris
    -- Solidoodle workshops (every 4th Sunday @ 5pm)
       #) First one was this weekend!  Awesome flyers courtesy of Carleen
       #) Now that the first one is done, Brian/James want to do some
topic-specific workshops
       #) Approved to get 3D scanner implements; *Emily to buy* (DONE)
    -- Makerspace @ the Orpheum
       #) No response from Sonya
       #) *Chris will ping Sarah* Doliner re: update (DONE)
    -- Shared Threads
       #) No rep tonight but Carleen will meet with with them on March 6
about increasing visibility
       #) Upcoming workshops:
           $) Feb. 23 - recycle and refashion, taught by Lisa
           $) March 30? - making your clothes/gear reflective, collab with
Bike Project
           $) April 20? - traditional sew stuff for your bike, projects of
different difficulty level
           $) May - tote bag making, tie in with opening of farmer's market
    -- Hardware Freedom Day, April 20 (register by 3/15:
http://wiki.hfday.org/)
       #) Interest in participating, might want to do an open house where
we work on existing projects
       #) *Gergana will register* the Makerspace

That should be it.  Let me know if I missed anything.

See you around,
~Gergana