[Imc-makerspace] Tandem: Bicycles and Artwork

Lisa Graff sibelingx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 22:06:33 UTC 2013

Tandem organizers are looking for submissions for their exhibit/fundraiser!
I spoke with them and they are happy to accept any/all forms of artwork
including sculptural type pieces, applications are due by July 26th.  I
feel like Makerspace could represent with something 3-d printed, LED lit,
reconstructed, knitted, sewn, painted, etc. RFID bike lock?! Maybe not
"art," but a cool idea.

Here's the link to the YouTube slideshow of photos from last year:
http://youtu.be/V-8l1_4LJtk

Below is a more detailed description from the organizers.

We (Joel and Molly) are part of both part of the design and bicycling
communities in Champaign-Urbana, and we got to thinking it would be nice to
create an opportunity for these two worlds to come together. We’ve seen
some of the great work that the ArtCrank <http://artcrank.com/> series has
done with bike-themed posters in larger cities around the country and
world, and we decided that bringing something similar to C-U would be
fantastic.

That’s where you come in. We’d like to invite you to submit a poster for
Tandem: Bicycles and Artwork <http://www.tandemcu.org/>, a bicycle-themed
art show opening the weekend of August 16 at Indi Go
Gallery<http://www.indi-go-art.com/> in
downtown Champaign. Artists and designers will create posters or other
artwork with a bicycle theme, which will be displayed and offered for sale
at Indi Go from August 16-21. This is our second year putting on the show,
and we hope 2013 will be even bigger and better!

Your original artwork will be offered for sale at reasonable prices ($20-40
suggested). For posters, you may submit up to 10 copies of your work to
sell, or if you prefer, you can submit one original piece of artwork, which
will be priced accordingly. 50% of the proceeds will go to YOU, and the
remaining 50% (after any expenses from putting on the event) will be
donated to The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign to help establish a
cooperative bicycle shop in North Champaign.

This shop aims to make the local cycling community richer in three key
ways: 1) by serving as a resource for cyclists who live in or ride through
the area; 2) by connecting with other community-based groups to further
opportunities for area youth to access bike-related resources and
knowledge; and by 3) increasing the race and class diversity within the
local cycling population. Last year Tandem raised $500 for this cause, and
we’d love to see that number grow this year.

Prints are preferred (screen print, letterpress, linocut, woodcut,
intaglio, lithography, mixed media, etc.) but other forms of work are
happily accepted. Sizes of work ranging from 4” x 6” to 24" x 36" will be
accepted, but please keep in mind our goal of keeping prices relatively low
so more work will be purchased. Any artwork submitted will need to be hung
easily on a wall at Indi Go, or placed on a pedestal in the gallery;
unframed prints are preferred. If your work is heavy, three-dimensional, or
requires any special care, please let us know in advance. Feel free to
email us with any questions.

Here are some key dates to keep in mind:

Friday, July 26: Application deadline for Artists;  apply online at
www.tandemcu.org

Tuesday and Wednesday, August 13 and 14: Drop off your artwork at Indi Go
Gallery (time TBA)*

Friday, August 16: Exhibit opening at Indi Go Gallery in downtown Champaign
(time TBA)

Wednesday, August 21: Exhibit closes

*If you would prefer, you may also ship items to: Tandem, ℅ Joel and Molly,
905 W. Church St., Champaign, IL 61821. Any shipped items must arrive by August
7!

Sound like fun? We hope so. If you’re interested, please take a minute and
fill out this quick online application
form<http://www.tandemcu.org/p/artist-application-form_3.html>.
If you have any questions, drop us a line at info at tandemcu.org. And if you
know anyone else who might be interested in participating, please pass this
along.

Thanks so much for your interest in Tandem, and we look forward to working
with you on this project.

Best regards,

Joel Gillespie and Molly Poganski

Organizers