[Imc-makerspace] [Minutes] May Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 6pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 23:12:17 UTC 2013

Thanks for attending, everyone!  A few notes are below.

Attendees: Brian, Colton, Liz, Barry, Gergana, Jeff, Monica, Erich, Beth,
Edward, Emily, Andre

Agenda:

*) Opens
    -- A fond goodbye to Chris Ritzo: wishing him all the best in Baltimore!
    -- A documentary on Alan Turing
("CodeBreaker<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119396/>")
at the Art on Tuesday, 7:30pm
    -- Clean-up Day on May 25 was a success!
        #) Consider doing a quartly clean-up going forward
    -- Carleen is helping her friend with a fundraiser by making the little
ninja dolls
        #) If you want to help, come to Wednesday's open hours
    -- Need to allow better access to the space
        #) *James, Jeff, and Edward will come up with a proposal*

 *) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Update on current status & rent increase
        #) MU finance committee are Barry, Emily, and Erich: main contacts
to the IMC bookkeeper
        #) Have Stripe/Square accounts, need to connect them to the IMC
bank account
             % For your reference, here are the charges: Stripe - 2.70% + 3
cents/transaction, and Square - 2.75%/transaction
        #) Additionally, due to some mislabeled deposits, we have a
potential $1300+ in our favor
        #) New rent: $309/month but seems like our lease still refers to
room #15; *MU finance committee to double-check* with the IMC
        #) Discussion on future of help desk:
              % Currently: partially funded by the IMC (Barry's billable
hours) and held at the Makerspace
              % Instead, we can consider complete separation in either
direction:
                   $) Make it fully part of the IMC and the Makerspace gets
a (potential) discount on rent, or
                   $) Make it fully part of Makerspace and all time to be
volunteer-based (preferred option by Makerspace)
               % *MU finance committee will check* on how the IMC views this
    -- Google analytics review: no update
    -- Liability
        #) Should get all keyholding members to sign liability waivers +
include as part of the workshop kits
        #) *Emily will check* on what else needs to be done

*) RFID lock update
    -- Front end is done!
    -- A little bit left on the back-end
    -- Almost there for testing

*) Past events:
    -- Bethel Church Outreach, April 27 (part 2 of 2)
        #) Nice turn out, gave away 12 computers
        #) Attendees ranged from 7 to 78yrs old
        #) No other workshops planned
    -- Girls do Science group @ the Orpheum (April 29, 3:45-5:30pm)
        #) Excellent workshop; hosted a group of 20 girls and made LED
origami flowers
    -- Solidoodle workshops (every 4th Sunday @ 5pm) - complete for the
Spring series
        #) Covered the range from intro to creating objects on blender, to
practical printing
        #) Still left to cover are: OpenSCAD workshop, and 3D scanner
        #) Consider doing a regular "intro to 3D printing" workshop with
sign up sheet, etc which requires no prereqs to attend (*Brian and James to
discuss*)
        #) Working on creating a rules & best methods poster for the 3D
printer, including suggested donation for printing ($1)
        #) Also, working on posting all printed objects (stf files,
settings & dimensions, etc.) on the MU website (or making a thingaverse
account)

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Workshop with Chambana moms
        #) They're interested in any other workshop we do; keep posting on
their site
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (Sept 21): call for makers is
out<http://ucmakerfaire.com/>& we have an awesome flyer
        #) Next meeting is Monday, June 3 @ 7pm
     -- Makerspace @ the Orpheum: no update
     -- Shared Threads
        #) Art @ the Market is hosting Shared Threads at their table on
June 15th
        #) Project: turning t-shirts into bags
        #) Should provide support in terms of people and have Makerspace
flyers to hand out
    -- Table @ the Farmer's Market: applications available
online<http://urbanaillinois.us/Application>
        #) Let's see how June 15th goes
    -- DIY BYOBrew
        #) Good interest in making this happen
        #) Will split into 1st skill-share: brewing process; 2nd
skill-share: actually making your brew of choice
        #) *James will setup *the logistics (maybe part of Make-a-tion?)
     -- Summer Make-a-tion/Urbana Free Library teen events
        #) First planning will start this Wednesday, June 5th, during open
hours

Let me know if I missed anything.

See you around!

~Gergana