[Imc-makerspace] April Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 7pm

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:07:48 UTC 2013

Thanks for attending, everyone!  A few notes from our discussion follow.

Attendees: Chris, Monica, Erich, Emily, Barry, Dan, James, Carl, Gergana

*) Opens
    -- New key-holding member nomination (Gergana)
       #) Liz Surbeck nominated & accepted
       #) Emily Knox nominated & accepted
    -- Xerocraft Hackerspace
Renovation<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/xerocraft-hackerspace-renovating-new-location>campaign

*) Membership/Financial Update
    -- Lease renewal for the Makerspace (Barry/Jeff)
       #) Renewal signed!  But our rent has been increased to $309 without
proper notification
       #) Next board meeting is May 6 where we will discuss some of the
discrepancies
    -- Google analytics review: no update
    -- Update on Square account/IMC board meeting
       #) Have received current profit/loss statement but it is inaccurate
(does not contain any 2013 deposits)
       #) IMC board is ok with us testing this
       #) They would also like for us to do more volunteer work for the IMC
           =) Presented to the group but no interest
       #) *Erich is taking the lead* on settings up the Square account
       #) Should form a financial sub-team of the Makerspace
           =) Chris, Emily, and Erich are interested
           =) Will keep of our own tracking of finances; should be easier
with Square account
           =) Will keep track of current list of keyholders (*if you have a
key, contact Chris*)
           =) Define how help desk finances will be tracked (consider
keeping a static $ amount in the space & deposit any overhead)

*) RFID lock update
    -- Code pieces are done, need to put it together
    -- Website with control software is close to being finished
    -- PyCU: Python user's group has also started

*) Past events:
    -- Zine fest (April 13)
       #) Great turnout but need to print more flyers
       #) Would have been nice to do something during the books for
prisoners sale (idea for next year)
     -- Bethel Church Outreach, April 20
       #) session 1 of 2
       #) providing computers & basic knowledge to low-income individuals
registering through the church
    -- Movie night: Inception (Sunday, April 21)

*) Upcoming/potential events:
    -- Eliminate the Digital Divide grant (Bethel Church Edition)
       #) Session 2 of 2
       #) Will cover basic networking, routers, etc.
     -- Discotech (Jan/Feb '13 timeframe): probably not going to happen,
drop from agenda
    -- Girls do Science group @ the Orpheum (April 29, 3:45-5:30pm)
       #) Gergana and Emily will host ~20 girls between 1-4th grade
       #) Workshop will be the LED origami one from
Adafruit<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKb8ccEVQM>
       #) Print a stamp with the logo "Girls Do Science" and give it to them
    -- Workshop with Chambana moms: no update
    -- MakerFaire 2013 (Sept 21)
       #) Paperwork signed, now have $2000 to spend
       #) Location is IMC main room and has been reserved
     -- Solidoodle workshops (every 4th Sunday @ 5pm)
       #) Smaller turnout this month, could be bad time of year (finals) or
should be more timely with advertising
       #) A couple of ideas to follow-up on:
           =) Keep a list of ongoing issues & troubleshooting techniques
close to the printer station
           =) And add a tip jar
    -- Makerspace @ the Orpheum: no update
    -- Shared Threads
       #) Got $400 to do Art @ the Market marked for both Makerspace &
Shared Threads
    -- Table @ the Farmer's Market
       #) Might do hand-outs or little activities for kids
       #) Decided to do this on June 1; need to fill out the form ($15
registration fee)
    -- DIY BYOBrew: on hold
    -- Summer Make-a-tion/Urbana Free Library teen events
       #) Almost time to start planning
       #) Will start with a list of ideas first on Wed (May 1)
       #) Should do another final organization of the backroom before
summer make-a-tion (*Emily to plan* for end of May)

Let me know if I missed anything.  See you around!

~Gergana